Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Got 100K mile service done today, questions?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Default Got 100K mile service done today, questions?

Today I took the car over to the mechanic b/c at 101k miles my maintenance minder #4 came on, which stated to get the timing belt, inspect a couple of things, and check the spark plugs. Car just turned 5 anyway, so I had the mechanic install a new serpentine belt, new spark plugs, inspect everything else, and bleed the brakes.

Couple of questions though.

He told me the car has a timing chain, not belt, which is what a Honda mechanic told me once. My mechanic did not want to get involved with this, and I remember the other mechanic told me to take it to Honda if I would ever change it. A friend of mine has an 05 Accord with 140K miles and has never changed the timing chain. I think I'm going to leave it for now.

Also, what is the deal with the manual tranny? I told him to flush the tranny fluid and he said you don't do that with manual tranny's? Is that true?

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

The 2003 & later 4-cyl engine (K-series) has a chain & not a timing belt. It does NOT get replaced on any mileage schedule. Strange that the maintenance-minder says to do that.

Where did you see that #4 includes a timing belt? That would probably be correct for a 2007 Accord V-6.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The 2003 & later 4-cyl engine (K-series) has a chain & not a timing belt. It does NOT get replaced on any mileage schedule. Strange that the maintenance-minder says to do that.

Where did you see that #4 includes a timing belt? That would probably be correct for a 2007 Accord V-6.
On the Maintenance Booklet. The #4 came on as part of my oil change, so I looked in the book to see what it means, and it stated timing belt. I'm not planning on changing it as I have heard of people going over 150k miles w/o any issues.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that's what I'm saying - on your K-series 4-cyl you CAN'T change it because there is no timing belt.

In that maintenance table, you probably have to look at the fine print or footnotes that say something like "V-6 engine only".

Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Supper Moderator

you CAN change the chains...it's just not needed. Chains will stretch over time but takes LONG time for that to happen. The chains on my Dodge 1500 stretched and I replaced them but that was at 180k now it runs like it was bran new. Your accord does not have the tq. that my v8 magnum has so I don't see you having to change the timing chains...but they are replaceable...just not common to see it done

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I have an 03 and well over 200k I have not had to change the timing chain at all the car runs like a champ still.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Generally the sprockets wear out as the chain wears. After tons of miles, or say during an engine-rebuild, you'd probably want to replace the sprockets also when you replace the chain.

Around here, the body sheetmetal rots out a lot faster than the timing chain lifespan.

However... be aware that there have been reports of problems where the timing-chain tensioner runs out of travel and/or oil pressure issues (not sure which is cause vs. effect). After 150k miles I'd probably look at the chain-tensioner to make sure it hasn't run out of travel. The Helm book (shop manual) for that car has a good description of that inspection.