Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

01 3.0 V6 swap to acura 3.2 v6 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Question 01 3.0 V6 swap to acura 3.2 v6 swap?

First time posting and new comer. I bought my 01 Accord Coupe v6 107k in Nov of 2011, had the car as a daily driver ran great never had problems until mid summer tires were wearing very oddly the inner of them were going bald. bought new set got an alignment and found out the subframe was bend so i replaced it and seems to have fix it. then in Oct 16 car got stolen, a few days after i put in the subframe. car was recovered been sitting at a shop since Oct 22. the engine is toasted. overheated coolant in oil oil in coolant compression test 140 ,130, 135, 90,85, 75. insurance taking a long time to do anything but now im thinking of keeping the accord and buying a used motor and doing the repairs myself even with it being totaled out. worth putting in the money id get back for it i think. fully load and only other damage are windows got water damage on motors easy fix... now after that long story my question is after looking into buying a replacement motor for the same one is running around 1,000-1,200 locally and online shipped. i remember that acura makes the same motor in the tl but its a 3.2l and is cheaper for some odd reason. is it a simple swap since it seems to be the same physical size and the way it sits and all. will the stock 3.0 ecu work with the acura 3.2?

any feed back would be great. planning on doing more things to make the car 100% and mods not much just simple bolt ons and supercharger maybe.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can find used engines for less than $1000. I found plenty down to $150, but I wouldn't expect much from an engine at that price. It would likely need a rebuild before using.

Use car-part.com to find more engine options near you, go by and inspect the engine for storage measures, get VIN of donor vehicle and use CarFax to check that donor engine mileage matches claims. I also considered the condition of the salvage yard; neat or a mess? Pull spark plugs and examine cylinders for water, check compressions if engine can be turned over.

Recommend staying w/ like/like part to avoid surprises. We've seen folks w/ problems even swapping 2.2L 4-cyls of different vintage. When you start swapping engines, you become your own automobile engineer and take responsibility to know all the facts.

There may be someone on the board who knows whether 3.2L acura engine can be substituted. Things like camshaft position sensors, crankshaft position sensors, O2 sensors may be same but located at entirely different positions requiring extensive wiring changes to mate. It's the details that will cause problems, even if engine bolts directly to trans.

good luck

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Ill try to look more into where i can find a J32 motor for a fair price. and it seems that a 6spd MT is a worth doing at the same time. i would like to have the car done by march. just wondering how much it would cost parts wise to do the entire swap. straight dump the j30 with its 4 spd AT which has no problems yet... i can sell the tranny.

i can do the swap myself with a friend that him and his dad own a shop and can do it there. he has a 96 silverado pickup with an 5.3 swap in it. which is very nice. so i know we can do the work just wondering on parts if its worth spending the extra cash which im guessing ill be spending about 2500 - 3000 already.

any know if anyone has done a j30 swap to j32 like that already? just point me in the right direction!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Your automatic transmission isn't known to be very robust. If you do much of a power upgrade, I'd get the 6MT.