Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

H-Series or K-Series HOT SUBJECT

Old 11-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Default H-Series or K-Series HOT SUBJECT

alright i was reading about swaps for my 94 accord i have heard about h swaps and now k swaps thanks to hasports.com with their mounts and parts. which one is better!?!?!?! also and which one will give me the most power with a turbo. jw thanx

Old 11-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: H-Series or K-Series HOT SUBJECT

well first, H spins in the same direction as B, D & F engines. K's spin the opposite direction. The K & F series motors have cast iron cylinder sleves that can take a serious amount of boost. The H motor has fiber reinforced metal sleeves, or FRM. The FRM sleves can't be bored at all and can't take as much pressure as the cast ones, but the H22 is a better flowing NA motor than the F series. Also, the older H22's were a cast design rather than the open deck that Honda uses for most of their motors. Those old H22's could take a good boost since they didn't have the floating sleeves. A K20 motor can generally put out close to 450 HP on 18 psi of boost with a stock lower half! Add a block guard and that motor can push around 500 HP with 20 psi (now we're finding the limits of the stock pistons!).

So to answer your question, the better motor depends on what you are using for your swap and what type of build you want to do. For turbo, the K is better than the H, but the K doesn't have as many applications as the B, D, F & H engines ...... if you have one of these and want a turbo build/swap, go for either a F engine or a solid block H22.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 AM

I'm not sure where to begin...

First off, the K's do not have cast sleeves. They are also FRM. The H22 swap has been done and quite frankly, has it limits in my opinion. You're paying upwards of $4k for only a couple extra Hp and a few lb/ft of torque.

I'm not quite sure what falkore means by the K not having as many applications either. They've been swapped into every civic chassis, now the 5thgen accordchassis, which shares mounts with all the other generations of accords so you could essentially use those K mounts in any other generation accord.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 PM

so...if i want to add more psi to my car, i need to get new pistons, rods, and what else? does the f23 head hold as much psi as an H22 head?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM

the head references the amount of air flow aka cfm, not the amount of psi, and cfm will only factor in if your running too much and the engine cant flow it out at the cars redline, and you can port an f23 head to flow as much as an h22/23 head, but you would be fine with an f23 head for all the t3/4 hybrid has to offer

and you need fuel management, best in the form of a computer control like aem ems or in general something that will alter the fuel map based on boost, which would also mean you would need a 2 or 3 bar map then tune tune tune which will probably cost as much as the aem ems