Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How do I gain horsepower in my f23a1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default How do I gain horsepower in my f23a1

I just got my first car a few months ago its a '01 accord 4-door so far all I have done to it was change my wire and spark plugs and remove my catalytic convertor...I am soon buying new headers and intake...but I want to know What else I can do to push more horse power

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Supper Moderator

f23 engine isn’t really performance worthy. Also 4cyls only have 1 header. You can't really get much performance out of f23 engine. your better off doing a full h22 swap so you have a better platform to start with and the h22 has about 40 more hp over the f23. Also are you 5 speed or auto? If auto don't worry about adding anything other than intake and exhaust.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Don't 2001's have the downstream O2 sensor?
If so removing the cat will through it into limp mode, correct?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Its auto...I was thinking of doing a K-20 or K-24 swap instead of doing the H swap, but either way I have no money... Crispen I thought the same thing but I found out it wouldnt do anything so I just took the cat off and took out all the **** from inside and bolted it back on

Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Supper Moderator

K swap on a "no money" budget. Never gonna happen. If Cam sees this he will chime in. k swaps are hella pricy. H swap can be done for around 2k if you do the install.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 PM

doing a K swap sounds like a pain. I'd recommend putting in an H, because it's far cheaper and almost a direct swap. Or also, I hear installing upgraded camshafts is a pretty easy and effective way to get power. That could be something for you to look into, I'm hoping to do that to my h23a in the future!
And remember f23's ARE performance worthy... before my H swap, my f23 managed to beat basically all K and B series si's, keep up with mustangs, and more, with just a CAI and exhaust upgrade... Those engines do surprise people and with upgrades, they'll be great!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I was thinking about doing a cam swap because its a Single Cam but i've looked up new cams for my motor and havent found any I also dont know any good brands for cams

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM

I've done some looking around for you, and the only site I'd trust getting cams from for your engine is bisimoto.com. I typed f23 into that site's search and found two cams for an otherwise stock engine. Level one claims to add 10% hp with a stock like idle. Level claims a 15% increase with a slightly lopey idle. You might want to check that site out if you're really thinking about upgrading your f23a

Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks man I appriciate it Im deffinantly going to check it out

Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by bairdandrew77
And remember f23's ARE performance worthy... before my H swap, my f23 managed to beat basically all K and B series si's, keep up with mustangs, and more, with just a CAI and exhaust upgrade... Those engines do surprise people and with upgrades, they'll be great!

your completely missing my point.
f23 walking K series si? sorry I call B.S. You also have to remember not everyone knows how to drive. I have seen c6vetts run slower than a cb7 with a h swapped and bolt ons. and a c6 runs STOCK 12.5 in 1/4th. h22 cb7 with bolt ons is like a 14 /15 sec car with a good driver. It's all in the driver. I have walked boosted b16s in my cb7 with f22a and bolt ons. Does it mean it's faster?. No means ppl need to learn how to drive.
The f23 has a horrible rod to stroke ratio...It's meant to create low end for FUEL ECCONMY not for POWER. It has a cramped head design MADE to crate turbulence to get a better fuel mixture for low end. It has low compression and the sohc vtec is NOT for performance...again it's for economy.
Also running a aftermarket cam on OEM fuel map is defeating the purpose. You would want to convert to obd1 and run a obd1 ecu that is chipped so you can get a tune to take advantage of the camshaft.
I also recommend bisimoto. He know his stuff...

Quick Reply: How do I gain horsepower in my f23a1