Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How Do You Replace Rotors on 90 Accord?

Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Default How Do You Replace Rotors on 90 Accord?

Sup fellas,

I need to replace the front rotors on my 90 honda accord, Is this difficult? Can someone give me instructions on how to do this?
I see the rotors have four screws near the center, is that all there is to it?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Default RE: How Do You Replace Rotors on 90 Accord?

dude - if you dont have an access to power tools DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT! attempt to do it .

front rotors till 1998 (i think) are annoying to replace - they are removed toward the inside of the car not the outside. The whole steering knuckle has to come off - the upper ball joint the lower ball joint and tie rod and axle nut have to be disconnected - the whole steering knuckle slides off. Then you need a special tool - a press basically to remove the hub assembly from the rotor. First time when I did it it took me 5 hours. ...but hey I've learned.
So if you don't have an access to tools forget it. Let the garage do that!

Note: always replace brake pads when replacing rotors.

anyhow, i can guide you how to do it if you want - but I would also recommend to replace bearings while you're there. Up to you [>:]

Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Dude,
i did this job on a 2000 ex, installed power slot plus big brake kit, it ain't that hard although i did take all day.

you need all the right tools and soem mechanical aptitude

one thing though, those two screws that hold the rotor hub to the car, you need a special tool to get those screws out, its a push in and twist to get them started and out , after that the old rotors come of easy.

i learned the hard way, i stripped the screws and had to drill the little !@#$er's out.[:@]

i tried to buy replacement screws, could not, dealer item, mechanics told me those screws are bs anyway.
they are not really holding your rotors on the vehilce anyway, once your wheels are on and torqued nothing bad is going to happen in that area.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 PM
caliboy21
Unregistered

i have to replace my rotors too. i have a 97 accord. i took the tires and brakes off but couldnt remove the damn rotors. so what tools do you need to remove them? i have access to power tools but not at the time i was doing it. anybody got any pics of parts that have to be removed instead of just naming them. i'm probly going to go buy a chiltons.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM

just save urself the hassle go see a bodyshop

Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Heres my replies to all of you guys

to dinzer : Dude! on 98+ models Rotors are put in different assembly wich is faaaaaar more easier thatn 97 and older Hondas.

to Caliboy : to replace them - you have to take the whole hub assembly off the car - both tierod and ball joints must be disconnected and Rotors detach inward from the hub - meaning if you look on the wheel on the car rotors has to be taken toward the opposite wheel not outside - which makes this job very annoying.

to Shocker : ding ding ding!! the RIGHT ANSWER!