Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

knocking/rubbing noise from rear when turning sharply

Old 04-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Default knocking/rubbing noise from rear when turning sharply

I have a peculiar problem. When I take a right or left turn rather sharply, as in putting some lateral forces on the car through the turn, I hear a rubbing or somewhat of a knocking sound coming from the back of the car. I removed the suspect tire (pass. side) and inspected it for any rub marks and also thoroughly checked inside the wheel well and found no trace of contact with anything. Checked inside the drum everything looked fine. So it's a mystery on what is actually making this sound. (I also checked the tire on driver side). What could it possibly be?!

Flylow, 99 lx coupe.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Default RE: knocking/rubbing noise from rear when turning sharply

How many miles on this car? Maybe your wheel bearings are on their way out. Does the hub spin freely, or have any play when you wiggle or hit the sides of the tire when it's off the ground?

Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 AM

The car has 85K miles on it, the wheels spin freely when off the ground, no wiggle or play side to side what's so ever.

Flylow, 99 lx coupe

Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you sure its from the back. a worn outer cv joint will make a knocking when you turn. it only happens to the front end though. and your axles should last about 150-180 thousand miles. just an idea though

Old 04-24-2006, 04:54 PM

This is a bizare thought but have you checked to make sure your spare tire/jack etc is securely fastened in? Nothing in the trunk loose? If all that is fine I'd think it was your CV Joints as well....

Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM

My CV boots are intact and this noise doesn't happen if i turn at a normal speed, its only when i try to make a sharp turn and accelerate through the turn, making the car lean more than usual (putting more lateral force on the axle than normal) , that's the only way i can replicate this noise. If i don't give it enough gas through the turn you can't hear the noise, but don't get me wrong I don't have to use gas if I am already turning fast enough to hear this noise. This car has very stiff springs, I can't get it to bounce like other cars by pushing on an end of the car ( I am a pretty strong guy) so i have to turn pretty hard to make the car lean, and that's when the noise happens. First thing i checked when i heard that for the first time was the jack or anything in the trunk, that would have been an easy one. I had a thought that maybe something that's related to the shock absorber or the spring, something loose perhaps. One young Audi mechanic told me sometimes tire could make the noise if there is a defect, but I don't know abot all that. But the noise definetely seems to be coming from the back, I had other people ride with me and they heard the same thing.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM

Is it a constant sound under the load or is there breaks in the noise? Like you hear rub, pause, rub etc? If you suspect it's rubbing I would go get an oil marker or paint marker of sometype.... cleanup the inside fenderwell/tire and then color anything you think might even possibly rub.... hit a corner, stop and inspect to see if the paint came off onto the tire at all.... if not then try marking the tire and do it again...

also, just for curiousity sake I would mark the location of the tire on the rim... mark the rim and mark the tire and see if somehow the tire is slipping ever so slightly... (that's a longshot I know but it's an option)

Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM

The noise goes tap tap tap tap, the faster i go the less time between taps, so i am assuming it's every revolution of the tire. That's a good idea about the rim and tire, but won't the nipple get shifted as well if the tire was slipping on the rim, and the nipple is perfectly straight.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is a bulletin on clicking noise ,, i don't know if it is the same noise that you are experiencing but bulletin says that , it is rust between hub and wheel,,

sand down the hub and the inner side of the wheel where they meet ..and apply some high temper grease on both places ...

bulletin # 99-093 ..

Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM

Nice find Desert...

As far as the nipple goes it wouldn't move... you have a tubless tire so the nipple is just pressed/sealed into place seperate from the tire itself...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: knocking/rubbing noise from rear when turning sharply