Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Loud Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Default Loud Whining Noise

Hello All!

I have a 1996 Honda Accord with 170000 miles on it and the first time I turn on my air conditioner in the morning I hear a loud whining noise. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Default RE: Loud Whining Noise

Sounds are hard to troubleshoot but I'll almost bet that it's either your belt or something with your A/C compressor.... check the tension/condition of the Belt that runs to your a/c. if it is cracked/worn badly replace it....

Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 PM

I agree with sir nasty, mine does it every time I start my car with the a/c on. make sure the a/c is off and see if it still makes the noise the belt is loose or there is a bearing going out most likely

Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your belt is probably loose. the adjustment is a 10mm bolt that is right underneath the alternator. you may have to loosen the alternator to tighten it though. there is on bolt on the top and bottom of the alt.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Anyone who is having this problem think about doing this to check for that noise.
I carry a cut off broom stick about 1 foot long in the car and it's my troubleshooting stick..
You can use your stick to troubleshoot anything that you think is whineing(yes even your girlfriend or buddy) by putting the stick on the part and listening to the end of it..you will hear the whine and pinpoint it quickly for a remedy...
This Stick Report has been brought to You with the Compliments of your WheelBrokerAng [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 08-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Anyone who is having this problem think about doing this to check for that noise.
I carry a cut off broom stick about 1 foot long in the car and it's my troubleshooting stick...
Yes! The poor-man's stethoscope.

A short piece of garden hose is another thing that works well to pinpoint the location of a noise.

Whichever one you use, be careful it doesn't get caught in the spinning belts.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

**Yes Jim Blake..You a Funny , Funnie, Funie Man...that was a great comeback there. It really made me chuckle when I read it..Thanks for making me smile and laugh...[sm=smiley32.gif]

WheelBrokerLaughingAng

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

I carry a cut off broom stick about 1 foot long in the car and it's my troubleshooting stick...
Yes! The poor-man's stethoscope.

A short piece of garden hose is another thing that works well to pinpoint the location of a noise.

Whichever one you use, be careful it doesn't get caught in the spinning belts.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow

your belt is probably loose. the adjustment is a 10mm bolt that is right underneath the alternator. you may have to loosen the alternator to tighten it though. there is on bolt on the top and bottom of the alt.
Light......you gave him excelent direction for a 4 cyl engine,,, we do not know if engine is a 4 or a v6 .......

96 hondaaccord ...... which is it ??

Old 08-06-2006, 08:43 PM

"92 Accord 365,000 miles"

How does that run?

Old 08-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

**Yes Jim Blake..You a Funny , Funnie, Funie Man...that was a great comeback there. It really made me chuckle when I read it..Thanks for making me smile and laugh...[sm=smiley32.gif]

WheelBrokerLaughingAng
Yeah, I should tell you about the loud whining noise in MY car. It happens when I'm going sorta fast around curves, & it sounds like it's coming from the passenger seat area.

Oh yeah, one other thing... It only seems to happen when my wife's in the car...

Ok, that wasn't a very nice thing for me to say... She might make me sleep in the basement.

Quick Reply: Loud Whining Noise