Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

need opinions on beefing up 2012 accord lx speed..speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Default need opinions on beefing up 2012 accord lx speed..speed

I just purchased a 2012 accord lx...its the one that has 177 hp... 2.4 ivtech...auto sedan....now I know with the right money anything can go down...so really just want to know where to start... im a first time honda owner..I had a truck before this so...can really use the opinions!!.. thnx peeps..

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Better wheels and tires and then some driving lessons/sessions on the track will be your best bang for the buck.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Cold Air Intake and a Throttle Spacer is a good starting place. After that it will take some money to move forward!
shipo... driving lessons, are you kidding!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ysoloud
Cold Air Intake and a Throttle Spacer is a good starting place. After that it will take some money to move forward!
shipo... driving lessons, are you kidding!
Nope, not kidding; an Accord with the changes you suggest and "Driver A" behind the wheel will lose every time to a bone stock Accord with a trained "Driver A" behind the wheel, and probably for similar money as well. Fact, a CAI and a throttle spacer won't do squat for the performance of the car.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

He's absolutely right. My novice experience on the track is a perfect example.

I had a Saab 9.2x - a rebadged 2005 Subaru WRX.

The instructor had a stock 1994-ish Civic with about 2/3 the horsepower. He consistantly had better lap times.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Maybee you should look at my car and see what you think. Then since my shop owns a dyno I will be glad to prove you wrong! You guys are track racing a stock accord. Just add wheels, hmmm. I might think of closing my shop of 22years and take driving lessons.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Maybee you should look at my car and see what you think. Then since my shop owns a dyno I will be glad to prove you wrong! You guys are track racing a stock accord. Just add wheels, hmmm. I might think of closing my shop of 22years and take driving lessons.
Did you repeat the dyno runs a few weeks after the addition of the (basically) worthless add-ons? No, probably not. The fact is that OBD-II systems effectively remap when changes are made to the engine plumbing; pretty good bet that in the end you lost a bit of torque in the mid range and gained no more than single digits in horse power up near redline at wide open throttle. So, how much time do you spend driving around town with your engine bumping off the rev limiter?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM

WOW, knowledge is a tool you should use. Good luck guys. Like I said OBD-II do your research the get back on the horse! The car has been on the dyno 9 times, each time for small adds, I posted the prints!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

WOW, knowledge is a tool you should use. Good luck guys. Like I said OBD-II do your research the get back on the horse! The car has been on the dyno 9 times, each time for small adds, I posted the prints!
Wow, suddenly you're smarter than the automotive engineers of the world. Sorry, not buying.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM

This is why I do not post. A guy with no personal car in the garage, no proof of building anything, ever will say things that he has heard from other people that have never built anything, never seen a dyno more than less used one. It is amazing to me that you still want to talk about it. You win, keep passing on the good knowedge!

Quick Reply: need opinions on beefing up 2012 accord lx speed..speed