Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil leaking into spark plugs. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM
Question Oil leaking into spark plugs. Help?

Hey, I drive around a '94 Accord LX and I remember when first deciding on buying a car, I bought this one on impulse.
I just really wanted a car and I didn't really look into the car or ask if it had any problems and I paid dearly for that.
I've already managed to fix most of the problems wrong with it, but I'm stuck on this issue.

So, when I take the spark plug covers off I notice that there's oil there. I knew that's not a good thing. It's only in two of the spark plug holes the other two are completely dry. I had a friend of mine that knows a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to Hondas take a look at it and he told me it could either be my cylinder heads or I could just have a busted O-ring in those two places.

So, my question is, have any one of you ever experienced this strange dilemma? Any DIY solutions? If so, please don't hesitate to post a reply. I've been stuck on this ever since getting this car nearly a year ago. It's amazing that it still runs...LOL

Thanks again HAF!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Personally I would not do that job by yourself unless you have mechanical knowledge.
I actually had the same problem and my care is in the shop because of it. One piece of advive is to take care of it right away. My mechanic told me it was the valve cover gasket.
I wasa trying to change my spark plugs when I noticed the oil and took it in

Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are 4 larger ring seals which seal the spark plug tubes to the valve cover and they will sometimes leak. I would start by replacing these. An easy job.

However, your engine also has orings in the rocker arm assemblie (penetrated by spark plug tube) that will leak w/ age. If these are leaking, it is a bit more effort to access and replace. You may want to have done by a professional.

Check DIY forum for guidance on these jobs.

good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM

Any idea how much these jobs could go for?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Supper Moderator

if it’s just a valve cover gasket kit then like 30bucks or so But if you DON'T use OEM Iv always had this prob. You have to heat up the spark plug O ring gaskets JUST a LITTLE BIT to make them seat correctly. The aftermarket kits tend not to 100% right on the fitment but they will work find if you just heat up the O rings with a hairdryer just to make them more flexible and fit correctly. This has happen every time Iv done VC gasket on my cb7. I always used after market they tend to be cheaper and closer to my house

Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Check this video out. I will give you an idea of what is going on!Spark Plug Well Oil Leak Fix, Honda Accord

Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 AM

Wow, thanks a lot HiMilesJ. That video was exactly what I needed.