Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Performance automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Default Performance automatics?

So I just finished automatic transmissions at Universal Tech. Int.

Torn them apart, took measurements of clutch packs runout and end play of the input shaft.

Took apart the valve body.

If I can get my hands on a automatic h22 and upgrade the guts I am knowledgable enough to do it.

Are there heavy duty clutches, tq converters

I would do a overhaul on it

Would this be cost effective vs swapping in a 5spd?

With a more efficient tq converter and clutch packs. Planetary gear sets really don't need to be beefed up

So any info would be great thank you

Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Supper Moderator

I have not really heard of anyone doing this. Even know auto trans can shift faster than any human can if built correctly. As far as how much it would cost? I have no idea. Doing a 5speed swap will cost you around $400 or so without the trans. and you doing the swap yourself. If you are going to do a full overhaul I would change your gear ratios around a little bit. Maybe shorten up 1st-3rd some then use the h22 4th and then use a f23 5th gear ratio.(this is talking about the gear ratio not the actual gear from thos trans) Get good into mileage as well as hwy....and still make it fun to race. Mix up the gears some if it's possible. I mean you don't have to use the same exact ratios that I stated but you get my idea.
You can find auto h22 trans on ebay all the time. I would recommend getting the lsd auto if you decide to go this route. Just remember tho any auto trans is reducing your power not matter how you look at it.

I also have a spare blown f22 auto trans your more than welcome to have for free if you can come pick it up or pay for shipping (not sure if it would be worth it if I had to ship)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Nevermind about planetary gear sets

Our transmissions are parallel shaft trannys

Difficult...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM

If you could find planetaries in a Honda/Acura let me know lol. You can get custom build heavy duty converter to your spec by any reman converter companies like Dean's or Transtar, you could get limited slip diff or get the pin welded and balance, also high hp axles, but the clutch drum and snap ring cannot withstand too much pressure. Automatic has too many soft parts involves that can fail very easily, solenoids and pressure switches could fail easy, converter overheating, any small metal/clutch particle could make a valve sticky and it will burn up the whole transmission, and there are many valves and valve bodies in a Honda, to get to them you will have to pull it out of the car, disassemble the whole tranny to get to them, not like most other make you could just drop the pan or side cover out and there's the valve body. To me i don't think it worth it to beef up a honda auto, better of get a standard and you don't have to worry about all that, don't care about faulty computer, or a bad speed sensor and make it not shifting. I built at least a few hundred Honda/Acura automatic alone, i have an 02 Accord V6, 01 CL-S, an 03 TL-S, and two 03 MDX in the shop right now that i'm rebuilding, that's how many Honda/Acura in 1 week.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM

yeah, my bad on the planetary gears lol..

you can tell i didnt do my research on the type of gear setup honda uses

damn thing has 3 valvebodies and 3 shafts

yeah not worth it at all..

sticking with the 5spd swap

i will upgrade the synchro blocker rings and put new bearings and washers and call it a day for the 5spd

Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM

I think stick shift is much better, except you will have to shift it manually lol. Yeah Honda doesn't use planetaries gear set, no sun gear or shell and they are built on the shafts and uses a shift fork for reverse, kind of like a manual tranny set up unlike any other car maker in the market. If you could find a whole car for part on you 5sp swap project, it would be best because all the hardware are right there.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM

There are many automatic out there that could be beef up to hold high hp, unfortunately they mostly for domestic make, like 350,turbomatic 400, power glide, C4, 727... and they are very easy to take them out and rebuild them as they don't have that many parts involve. My buddy is just finish installing a fully built automatic turbo 400 in his Toyota Crown, it was fully stripped down, fully built 2JZ motor and a turbo as big as a shop vac lol, if his math is right this set up is around 1500hp and the car weighting round 2000lbs with the driver and a chute to stop it. He has 3 Supras all pushing over 500hp at the wheels before, but this one is far the best one, shooting for 6s 1/4 mile. http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6467/photo0675w.jpg

Last edited by piggylover1985; 07-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.