Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Resistance/slow response to acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Default Resistance/slow response to acceleration

Does anyone know anything about this and what needs to be adjusted/cleaned/repaired to improve acceleration response?

When I depress the gas pedal to accelerate, it feels like the car engine doesn't want to respond. I'm not Ms. Leadfoot either - not trying to take the car to 80 km in 5.6 sec.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Default RE: Resistance/slow response to acceleration

What car and engine? Never mind, just saw your other post about buying a 97 Accord.
Pat, we'd just be guessing, I would take it to a place you trust and get them to evaluate it.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 PM

I realize that it wasn't any help but there are just too many variables. When was it last tuned up? How many miles? Stick or auto? When was the fuel filter changed last? I hope you are beginning to see what I mean.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Yes, I see your point. Sorry, I really don't know a whole lot about everything under the hood, but I'm interested in acquiring some basic knowledge of car maintenance.

The 97 EX-R was just bought 5 days ago from a non-Honda dealership. This car had gone through a 153 point inspection for the Engine, Cooling system, Driveline, Fuel system, Exhaust, Brakes, Wheels & Tires, Steering & Suspension, Electricals & Boday. Sound pretty thorough? Well, I'm no mechanic, but for a car that has passed satisfactorily in every single category, it seems to have a rough idle, and has the feeling of "pulling back" or resists acceleration. Funny I didn't pick-up up on this during my test drives.

* car is at 16,878 miles
* auto transmission
* last tune-up unknown
* oil & fuel filter change done 2 mos. ago
* I checked the transmission fluid this afternoon - it's not a light color, but at least it isn't black, nor does it have a burnt smell. No dirt or loose flecks of debris on the transmission dipstick.
* I looked at the oil, it appears clean and is at the correct level.

Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2005, 10:56 AM

Gosh that one barely has any miles at all! Were it mine, I would go buy a large bottle of Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaner, enough to treat 20 gallons. Put it in the tank and fill up. If it is fuel related this "shock dose" should clean things up by 1/2 tank or so.

On the other hand it may not help at all but it's not expensive to try. Does the place you bought it have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee? Have you spoken to them about the hesitation? It's got to be something simple with so few miles on it.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Oh poop. Typo! Try 106,878 miles ha ha!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:56 PM

AH SO! That's a little different.

Is this a carbureted or fuel injected model?

Old 11-04-2005, 10:20 PM

Is it a manual or automatic transmission type? If Auto I'd have a tranny place take a look at it as well. I've seen car's with bad tranny's bog the car down with automatic's. With that many miles it would be one thing I'd consider. A lot of those inspections don't pull the pan on the tranny to see if the filter or oil strainer is clean (if they have them in those cars). I'd at least have it done and replace filter or have the oil strainer cleaned and put new fluid in it if they don't find any other problems with it. I really don't know enough about auto's to say if the problem is even there or if it was what would cause it. I've just seen auto tranny's bog car's down before so it's something I'd consider.
Good luck and hope it's nothing expensive...

Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 AM

Hi! Thanks for your reply guys.

I took the car back to the dealership and they tinkered with it for a day. They made some adjustments, and checked the transmission oil which was good. I think that's probably the best that can be done for an old car. I hope the transmission is not in the process of dying on me! I think you're right, maybe it's time to have the transmission drained or fully flushed.

Well, while they were tinkering away, I got to zip around in a Volvo S40 (it's about the size of a VW Jetta). New cars are so nice! That car MOOOOOOVED on the slightest tap on the gas pedal, and stopped on a dime. Powerful engines and me are not a good mix. Want to see 44 yr. old transform into a 16 yr. old? Can you say d.a.n.g.e.r.? Mental note to self...never buy a "demo" car.

Quick Reply: Resistance/slow response to acceleration