Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rev limiter/electronic governor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Default rev limiter/electronic governor

Does anyone know of the the 6th gen accord have rev limiters or electronic governers as they are also known by.

specifically the j30a1 application.

also, the tacho on this starts redlining at 6300 rpms.

this may sound like a dumb question but, how much of this is displayed to disuade a driver from pushing revs to 7000 rpm to 7500 rpm? versus, actually damaging your engine running at those revs.

Reason i ask is that my motor only realy come sto live in 3rd, manny trans, at revs from 3500 up to
6300, i feel like there is yet more power there but have not pushed it past the red line.

just feel like it has more power to give, would a vtec controller alter any of this

appreciate any knowledge any of you may have.

tks
steve

Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Default RE: rev limiter/electronic governor

You don't need to push the revs with the j30. It'll hurt more than it'll help. Adding rpm does not aid every engine, power begins to drop off after peak with a stock engine. I know the I4 doesn't have a governor and the same might be true for the V6, not sure though. Plus if you spin a bearing or something, you'll really be pissed, the car is made to rev to a safe and productive limit to prevent damage.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 PM

appreciate the feedback as always. I understand your points, just feels to me that there is more power
in the engine past that 6300 rpm level. would hate to prove myself wrong though!!!.

have you any experience or know anyone with a vtec controller?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM

VTEC controller isn't effective enough without dyno...so add to your expenses and you may not enjoy the gains. Adjusting it on a stock motor could hurt performance also. Only the dyno will tell, each engine reacts differently to different settings, so just turning it down to 2.5k or something might not be good at all. You may think there's more power beyond there and ther may be a little, but it feels like it a lot more than there actually is...think about your approaching 7000rpm, your engine is screaming at this point.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:08 PM

6th gen,

Appreciate the feedback, i had to test this out myself, just yesterday, put the car is 1st, took the revs to about 6500 6600, guess what
soon as i got there, some form of limiter kicked in, got the revs up, almost like a click then quick stall and you can see the needle back off, so there has to be something mapped in this engines CPU, make sense for them to do this as a safety feature.
No referrence in any manual though!!!

When i get my headers and supercharger done, i will go with the vtec controller down the line, i have found a decent tuner shop with a dyno so i will follow your advice on that as well.

Something has to work to get these engine revs up get the vtec cams engaged and off the line a bit quicker

Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 PM

There is no speed governor because it's governed mechanically, so the more mechanically potent the engine the mroe top speed can be achieved until you run out of gears and rpm. Yes, there's a limiter that you don't need to adjust. RPM kills. There are things to get the rpm effectively and safely...but don't look for many options as far a the bearings and crank. Even if you changed the pistons, rods, rings, you still have a SOHC, which is not mechanically optimum for high rpm, it's better at making torque in the lower rpm range. The heavy components in SOHC engines (the head) can cause valve float and ultimately blown you f%$& engine up, there are many expensive reasons I can give you not to raise the rev limiter past 7000, but a vtec controller should be acceptable. Kicking it in earlier will probably sacrifice mileage more than give a better kick in the butt dyno.

ORIGINAL: dinzer

6th gen,

Appreciate the feedback, i had to test this out myself, just yesterday, put the car is 1st, took the revs to about 6500 6600, guess what
soon as i got there, some form of limiter kicked in, got the revs up, almost like a click then quick stall and you can see the needle back off, so there has to be something mapped in this engines CPU, make sense for them to do this as a safety feature.
No referrence in any manual though!!!

When i get my headers and supercharger done, i will go with the vtec controller down the line, i have found a decent tuner shop with a dyno so i will follow your advice on that as well.

Something has to work to get these engine revs up get the vtec cams engaged and off the line a bit quicker

Old 10-17-2005, 04:42 PM

6th gen apprciate the knowledge.

let me ask you this, if you could do an engine swap into our gen honda, which one would you go with?. If it's possible

Im starting to wonder if this is a potential area that i should look into , rather than beef up the internals and then supercharging it.

I hear about all these other honda engines making great power, with turbos, but nothing on the j series!!!

if you have any ideas on this i would be gratefull, tks for all the info and guideance.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:39 PM

For the V6, look for the 6-speed J32 out of a TL-S or CL-S. And then supercharge that!

For the I4 look for the H22.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:46 PM

okay thanks, ill start doing some reseach on that, any particular years to look for?
now when you say six speed i take it i will have to change out tranny as well, or can that be done later?
im running auto trans for now, plan has always been to convert to manual however.

thanks much

Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 AM

02-03 TL-S (maybe even '01)