Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

mods/upgrades to increase mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Default mods/upgrades to increase mpg?

There's plenty of go-fast mods, but what about increasing the efficiency of the engine? I've got a long commute, and, while my mileage is good, I am sure it could be better.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Administrator
Default RE: mods/upgrades to increase mpg?

The best way to increase the efficiency of your mileage is to drive it normally, keep the filters clean and keep it tuned with fresh parts always..then your mileage should increase...

WheelbrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM

Relieving the exhaust can increase MPG but it may take a long time to break even on the initial expense. Switching to a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1 MAY show a slight increase 1/2 MPG or so but I stress MAY. Again it may not be worth the expense to you since the prices have jumped up so much.

Making sure your tires are at the correct pressure or +3-5 psi above helps mileage. Slowing down 5 MPH also has a positive effect, both of these "mods" cost zero!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Keeping your foot out of the gas pedal is way more effective than anything else you can do. Not FUN, but it'll get you the biggest improvement in MPG.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 PM
gsgmxm
Unregistered

experimented with tire pressure.

Just always use a gauge you trust...don't be like me and do the 50 psi thing.
Overinflatingseemed to improve mileage (from 19 to 22 city, and from 26 to 28 hwy)in the short term...but I can tell the car really didn't like it. It actually seemed like it was "confused"for at least the first day or so as far as shifting, starting and especially stopping. My car has never in its life been "confused" and this worried me enough to put the tires back to the recommended inflation.
Bottom line, the others are right. Just TRUST in the fact that your car knows more about getting good gas mileage than you do, and drive like you have no insurance
If you must fiddle with something under there in that mass of communication cables which is so very fascinating.....buy a OBD2 LOGGER (which you can then hook to your COMPUTER and GO NUTS WITH THE DATA (pepboys, autozone, etc...149.99.

And finally. No offense. It takes one to call one...speaking from experience. Don't mess up your honda...it's aheck of a lot moresophisticated and advanced than 90% of what you drive by every day.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you see a red light ahead, either coast to a stop (or coast as far as you can). Usually the light will turn green and you can just get back up to speed and keep going again. That gave me like 4 extra mpg, because i hardly ever stopped. Whats the point of driving a constant speed only to stop at the red light? when you see it, just start coasting, dont brake until you normally would.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

if you see a red light ahead, either coast to a stop (or coast as far as you can). Usually the light will turn green and you can just get back up to speed and keep going again. That gave me like 4 extra mpg, because i hardly ever stopped. Whats the point of driving a constant speed only to stop at the red light? when you see it, just start coasting, dont brake until you normally would.
I do the same thing man.... Put it in neutral and coast up to that b****. Also if your going down a huge hill, put it in neutral and coast down.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 PM

If you drive a manual cost it with the clutch engaged whenever you can. And also put it in the highest gear the car can cruise in the given speed. i put it in 5th gear for 50mph, fized my tire pressure, and did more coasting, and added an average of +2 to 4 mpg over the course of 250-280 miles