Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

valve adjustment - how necessary is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:58 PM
eleiko
Unregistered
Default valve adjustment - how necessary is it?

Last week I got a tune-up at 160,000 miles. The mechanic didn't adjust the valves, nor did he adjust them at last tune-up (133,000). It's his opinion that valves don't need adjusting unless the car rides rough, which it doesn't. He knows that Honda recommends a valve adjstment every 15,000 miles , but thinks it doesn't make sense. Any opinions here? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Default RE: valve adjustment - how necessary is it?

valve adj. should be done every 30k on hondas unless a "V6"...the technician obiously doesnt usually work on hondas..and if its a honda dealership he needs to go through Honda certification if he says that..your car needs valve adj. 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k..etc...GET THEM ADJ.!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:32 AM

I agree, have it done. Even if the car is running well better mileage and performance could be realized with the adjustment. A quieter engine is another possibility.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:06 PM
ElectricTwilight
Unregistered

Here's the thing...you can never go wrong with a good valve adjustment...you will notice a difference even if you thought the ride 'felt fine'....dont wait till there's a problem to fix it...

Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 PM

In owners manual for 99 Accord, it says to "Inspect Valve Clearance" and the very first interval is scheduled for 105K, until then it says to "Adjust only if noisy". So according to the manual adjustment should be made only if valvetrain is noisy before the 105K mark. Same interval is used under Severe Driving conditions, as for the Normal Driving. So how noisy does it have to be? The check must be done whith the engine cold, so what kind of noise should one be looking for, from an already noisy cold engine? Mine makes chattering sound when cold, it could be the sound from the valvetrain but it goes away as engine warms up. I was told by an aging auto repair guru, that the noise from valves when cold means that there is clearance, it would be bad if there was no noise since it could mean that valves don't get to close all the way or something like that. So I guess I am looking for more insight into this valve noise , is it good or is it bad. Oh, and why wouldn't the owners manual say anything about valve adjustment every 30K.

Thanks much!

Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 AM

big waste of money

Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 AM

Local Honda dealer gave me an over the phone price of around $185 for the adjustment, said takes about 2 hrs. Should I do it?! So tempting [sm=bounceybounce.gif] I was intrigued by a few people saying earlier, that better performance may be realized. Although I think my 99 LX is doing well, I get 28-30 mpg. Any thoughts?

Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 AM

Ask around before u go spending unnecessary cash. It's not all that necessary IMO unless youre ride is totally off.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:06 AM

It's just that those super member guys from earlier posts got me worried, they said get it done even if the car is running well, which it is. I wana get to the bottom of this. Is it a waste of money or is it a good thing to get done? The Haynes repair manual says: "The valve clearance generally doesn't need adjustment unless valvetrain components have been replaced, or a valve job has been performed." If you got the car used, how would one know if anything had been done to the valves?

Old 11-02-2005, 07:44 PM

If it's never been done it is past due @ 133,000 miles. It's as simple as that! I think it would be worth your while to shop however.

Quick Reply: valve adjustment - how necessary is it?