Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

valve adjustment - how necessary is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Default RE: valve adjustment - how necessary is it?

Where did you dig that number up Tex? Just curious [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-03-2005, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: FlyLow

Where did you dig that number up Tex? Just curious [sm=smiley20.gif]

That's called DUH! I should have said 160,000 miles, sorry.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM

I am only half way there, 80K

Old 11-11-2005, 02:33 AM

If you are concerned you can have the clearance checked. It is not that hard to do. Some of the noise could be injectors. My 03 sounds like it needs a valve adjustment but is just injector noise. On pre-03 4cyl the valve clearance should be at least checked every 105k. Prior to 98 it should be more often.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: 7thGen

If you are concerned you can have the clearance checked. It is not that hard to do. Some of the noise could be injectors. My 03 sounds like it needs a valve adjustment but is just injector noise. On pre-03 4cyl the valve clearance should be at least checked every 105k. Prior to 98 it should be more often.
I can check clearance myself? What does your injector noise sound like? (describe if you can) Is it no cause for concern?

Thanks ahead of time [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-23-2005, 05:36 PM
tcodi
Unregistered

In response to a question of yours a few posts above:
Valves will have a slight bit of noise when cold because of the "lash" they are set to.
Valve lash is the clearance between the valve stem tip and the lifter, depends on the
engine but probably around .030 cold. This produces a noise when the engine is cold
because the lifters start moving before they contact the valves, so when they do they
give them a little smack. It makes a light pitter patter sound really fast like a bunch of
tapping.
Every engine needs cold lash because as it heats up the whole valve train grows. The valves
get a little longer, the cam gets a little fatter, etc. If the cold lash was set to zero you would
have valves sticking open when it was hot.

Setting lash is not hard, just intimidating if you've never done it because under the valve
cover on an dual cam engine it looks scary. It's really just a matter of getting some feeler
guages and tightening a bolt at the correct spot.

If it ain't giving you problems don't worry about it. The only possible effect of not re-adjusting
the valves on a high mileage engine is slightly less valve lift due to the wear on the cam and
follower. We're talking thousands of lift here. Maybe a horsepower or two at redline.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: FlyLow

Local Honda dealer gave me an over the phone price of around $185 for the adjustment, said takes about 2 hrs. Should I do it?! So tempting [sm=bounceybounce.gif] I was intrigued by a few people saying earlier, that better performance may be realized. Although I think my 99 LX is doing well, I get 28-30 mpg. Any thoughts?
your local dealer is full of POOP..$ 185 is way way too much,, a new gasket is around 11 dollars and delers charge 1 hr for valve adjustment so it depends on their hourly rate 70-80- dollars per hr ??
get an adjustment every 30k..money well spent ,

Old 12-05-2005, 04:20 AM

Interesting.. This dealer also sells Mercedes cars maybe that's why the estimate so high, I am just guessing for now though it's a bit late to call. Although I can't decide who is more right on this thread, the ones who say it's a waste of money adjusting valves, or the ones that are all about it. I believe a tie breaker is in order [sm=lockeddance.gif].

P.S. Sorry about your team earlier today Desert, go Bears! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-27-2006, 08:27 AM

I just wondering ... We need to ajust on cold or hot engine ? and how much the clearance ? in and out ?
thank you

Old 05-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Sendal

I just wondering ... We need to ajust on cold or hot engine ? and how much the clearance ? in and out ?
thank you

If you go to the DIY there is a HOW TO write up with step by step infos ..

Quick Reply: valve adjustment - how necessary is it?