Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Valve Adjustment Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:43 AM
Default Valve Adjustment Needed?

A year or so ago I had that common issue of clogged EGR ports and the misfire code. I took it to my mechanic who did a breakdown down to the head and cleaned out the ports manually. I know they had to go past the valves and rocker arms to get down there. My question is, Is it necessary to adjust the valves on re-install or was it likely not done?

I'd like to increase the performance of my engine. I did a compression test last summer and had readings something like cylinder 1-4: 118 PSI, 125 PSI, 130 PSI, 130 PSI.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Valves adjustment is not a part of EGR manifold cleanup. If engine is running good and valves are not noisy, this item is not necessary.

Those compressions are at the lower acceptable limit of minimum of 135 psi w/ max variation of 28 psi.

Low compressions are unlikely caused by valve leakage if the engine is running smooth (not missing). More likely worn rings. Only a leak-down test will ID true cause of the low compressions. Also possible the measurements were not taken correctly leading to low results. Does engine burn oil, hard starting, poor fuel economy? These are characteristics of low compressions.

good luck

Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Valves adjustment is not a part of EGR manifold cleanup. If engine is running good and valves are not noisy, this item is not necessary.

Those compressions are at the lower acceptable limit of minimum of 135 psi w/ max variation of 28 psi.

Low compressions are unlikely caused by valve leakage if the engine is running smooth (not missing). More likely worn rings. Only a leak-down test will ID true cause of the low compressions. Also possible the measurements were not taken correctly leading to low results. Does engine burn oil, hard starting, poor fuel economy? These are characteristics of low compressions.

good luck
Hi TexasHonda, Thanks for weighing in!

Those numbers are dry. The engine does burn a little bit of oil, once it triggered the oil lamp indicator before the next scheduled oil change. Otherwise it run's smooth and it is quiet.

How much work is it to replace the valve rings? I regret not having it done during the head gasket job on my vehicle.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
Hi TexasHonda, Thanks for weighing in!

Those numbers are dry. The engine does burn a little bit of oil, once it triggered the oil lamp indicator before the next scheduled oil change. Otherwise it run's smooth and it is quiet.

How much work is it to replace the valve rings? I regret not having it done during the head gasket job on my vehicle.
A ring job is an entirely different ball of wax. If you're concerned about the health of your rings and/or cylinder walls, it is probably far cheaper to simply look for a good condition used engine.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree w/ Shipo on rings. A used engine would be a better investment.

good luck