Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Vibrations after timing belt and water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Default Vibrations after timing belt and water pump replacement

Hi. I have a '97 honda accord se. About a month ago, I had the water pump and timing belt replaced from my Dad's mechanic. The day I got it and started driving, I immediately noticed noises coming from the front of the car whenever I hit the brake or turning the steering column as well as I noticed subtle vibrations coming from the foodpedal and steering wheel whenever I went over 2k RPM. I immediately took it back. The mechanic drove it and at first stated he didn't feel anything but the noise in the front was very audible. He put the car back on the lift and I saw them do this, they started putting back a important part in the front of the car that the forgot to put back initially (a**holes). I drove it at the noises were gone but didn't notice the subtle vibrations again until the next day. So I took it back and had them drive it and they flat out said, they dont' feel anything and stuck with their f'in word. I, unfortunately, had to go back to college that day. I didn't get a chance for anyone else to look at it but the vibrations are becoming very bothersome. I researched into the issue and several forums stated that mechanics (specificaly ones that aren't honda certified) tend to forgot the balance shaft or something to do with balance belt kit with tensioner. Anyway I called a local honda dealership and told them about the situation and they stated that it is most likely exactly the problem I researched and found. However, they stated it will cost around 300 to 400 to fix because thats their price for doing timing belt replacement. However, I have taken my car to a mechanic at meineke (does very good job) stated he could do the entire thing for half the price or what not but I'm not sure if he will be able to find the problem immediately.
I'm just confused as to whether I should take the car to the honda dealership or the meineke guy. Just don't want other issues to arise with another mechanic especially when working with the damn engine. I should've taken it to the honda dealership in the first place. Just wanted your guys input as to what route I should take or if anyone else has had a similar issue with their car.

Thanks (sorry for the long post)

Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It is probably the balancer shaft being a tooth or two off on the belt. I just helped out on a 99 Accord timing belt job and my friend's dad wasn't too accurate with putting the belt on. (Didn't mention it out of respect, long story) It's 1 tooth off and my friend can tell.

If the Meineke guy knows what he's doing and you trust him I don't see why he can't do it for you. Just tell him not to take off the timing belt (he won't have to) and that should keep you safe.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM

Cool. Thanks for your confirmation. It hasnt' caused any issues but don't wanna risk it either.
Thanks again.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Or you could go back tot he original shop and tell them the problem and demand they fix it, or you will report them to the Better Business Bureau.
You should NOT have to pay for this to be done when the shop you paid for the job originally didn't do it correctly.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Funny that you mention that. My dad went back to the mechanic and I guess he bit**ed them out or close to it. They told him to tell me to bring the car back to them when I come back at home (which i'll be doing in 3-4 weeks). So i'll be doing that. I'm pretty sure its the balancer shaft issue or the resolution that 'finch13' indicated.
But yeah it is quite ridiculous

Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 AM
kally
Unregistered

stated he could do the entire thing for half the price or what not but I'm not sure if he will be able to find the problem immediately.
it is kind of diease

__________________________________________________ __
NO SPAM
NO SPAM

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-04-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: SPAM
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
Or you could go back tot he original shop and tell them the problem and demand they fix it, or you will report them to the Better Business Bureau.
You should NOT have to pay for this to be done when the shop you paid for the job originally didn't do it correctly.
I agree. and those are words coming out of a guy who knows a thing or two about insurances...right jon?

has the "check engine" light came on? you might have some misfires as well...