Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

VTEC ENGINE SWAPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: VTEC ENGINE SWAPS

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord

u could, but u'll soon reach a limit and won't b able to keep going. I would choose to go for a H22 engine swap (more mods, parts, andpsi resistance). But, there again, that's my opinion...
The H22 responds pretty well to N/A mods but once you go boost - which isn't a good idea on one with its high compression ratio- the rings are also a major weak point in the motor.
I think Shadow1992might disagree. He runs an H22 with 24psi. Well....his is "massively modified" as he says in his signature. So I guess you could be right.
24 psi on a stock motor even w/ the greatest tune out there will blow in a matter of time. His is obviously built for that amount of power. The rings are usually the first things to go on the H22's and F23's when they're boosted. Usually followed by melted pistons or spun bearings.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:13 PM

FRM sleeves dont respond very well to the pistons expanding and will crack, massively modified i would hope means resleeve with cast iron. People will always argue which is better, a modified f23 or an h22, i bet on the f23 just cause it has a longer stroke, you can get an h22/23 head and build up on the f23 block and have a stronger running engine in the end. Haven a smaller pistons doesnt mean much just because you can do a resleeve and put larger pistons in. But any way you look at it, with enough time and money you can build a beast.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: marbro

FRM sleeves dont respond very well to the pistons expanding and will crack, massively modified i would hope means resleeve with cast iron. People will always argue which is better, a modified f23 or an h22, i bet on the f23 just cause it has a longer stroke, you can get an h22/23 head and build up on the f23 block and have a stronger running engine in the end. Haven a smaller pistons doesnt mean much just because you can do a resleeve and put larger pistons in. But any way you look at it, with enough time and money you can build a beast.
FRM sleeves don't respond well to the expanding of FORGED pistons, not the stock pistons. Your stock header is made of cast iron, aftermarket cylinder sleeves are usually forged iron for strength and durability.

Original: j_man_honda

Yes, www.6thgenaccord.com
If you guys are gonna reference the site I help mod, atleast join and introduce yourself. Don't just ***** out the info we've worked hard for.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:25 AM

its any piston expanding, forged pistons expand more then the stock pistons which are something that arent as easy to expand from heat. What are stock prelude pistons made of? that will be the biggest identifier of they expand as much as forged pistons

Old 06-10-2007, 01:06 PM

that'swhy i said that a H22 can actually be modified for gaining a hhuge amount of boost! no stock engine will get more that 5psi, mine (F23) was running dry so i had to buy a walbro fuel pump and fuel rail to intall the eclipse turbo 450cc injectors.... things haven't arrived yet but ill inform when im done....

Old 06-10-2007, 02:36 PM

its any piston expanding, forged pistons expand more then the stock pistons which are something that arent as easy to expand from heat. What are stock prelude pistons made of? that will be the biggest identifier of they expand as much as forged pistons
Ok..so you reinforced what I said. Then I'm not quite sure what you're saying. The problem is the AL->AL contact of forged internals with the FRM liners.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM

i was adding that cause its not like only forged pistons would expand in a way that would damage frm sleeves

Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 AM

i was adding that cause its not like only forged pistons would expand in a way that would damage frm sleeves
I guess you're not getting it, forged pistons will expand more than the stock H22 pistons. That's a fact, not my opinion. I've never once seen or heard of a case of stock H22 pistons expanding enough to ruin stockcylinder walls. There have however, been cases of too much side load of the piston on the cylinder wall and that does ruin the cylinder walls, but this goes for any piston.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM

I was looking to add a little power to my 96 accord 4 cly. A friend of mine told me to put a vtec head in there and I will get a few more hp's. Also do you think if i put a chip in it, i will get more hp???

Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

I guess you're not getting it, forged pistons will expand more than the stock H22 pistons. That's a fact, not my opinion. I've never once seen or heard of a case of stock H22 pistons expanding enough to ruin stockcylinder walls. There have however, been cases of too much side load of the piston on the cylinder wall and that does ruin the cylinder walls, but this goes for any piston.
*sighs* im talking about other pistons that dont come stock in a h22, this is just turning into a situation of youre either completely misinterpreting what im saying or you just dont care about what im saying. I never said that the stock pistons expand and ruin the engine for the h22 it would be stupid to even say that when theres prelude engines that have been running for over 200+k miles, before i asked what the stock pistons were made of to find out if they were a different material then say the stock pistons running in a f23/22 engine

rh honda,
rechipping a stock i4 hondas wouldnt be worth it because they are pretty much maxed out as they are, you may be able to get 5 to 10hp but i wouldnt bet on too much more then that. You would be spending a bit for just a little bit of gain.

Quick Reply: VTEC ENGINE SWAPS