Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

what is the best motor / trans setup for my 6th gen?e

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default what is the best motor / trans setup for my 6th gen?e

Want to Ok i currently have a P.O.S. J30a1 since everyone says they suck i want a to know what motor i can swap in along with a manual trans. Im not to familiar with k motors or b motor or h,f, or anything honda for that matter so can you help me?

I currently have a v6 J30a1 with dc headers,( cheapbrand) cold aiintaker oh and 149,000 miles (YA I KNOW ITS BONE YARD TIME) and an automatic trans that i heard suck .. my car runs great i have NO problems but i guess its a matter of time :/

Since its an old motor with more miles than hell i want to swap everything

i really want a turbo motor with 350 hp but ill settle for more than 275hp

I just need a basic parts list and cost along with any tips

I like my car i dont want a new one its in brand new condition just old

Any suggestions.. thank you

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh and off topic but whats with exhaustpipes coming out of hoods whats that do?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

I think people have swapped in engine & trans from Acura TL-S. Don't know the details...

Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kmak466
Want to Ok i currently have a P.O.S. J30a1 since everyone says they suck i want a to know what motor i can swap in along with a manual trans.
Why so much vitriol directed toward the J30? The fact is the engine is a very good and sound engine which can easily last hundreds of thousands of miles with just basic maintenance. The only real negative compared to the 4-Cylinder engines is that adding a turbocharging application can be problematic due to space and plumbing issues.

I have a 2001 Accord with the J30; not the most powerful engine in the world, but pretty damned decent, and if a conversion to a 5-Speed or 6-Speed was doable for a reasonable price and amount of effort the car would be so-so much better than it is with the autotragic transmission.

FWIW, I’ve heard through the grape vine that swapping in Acura cams can bump the J30 up into the mid-200s from a horse power perspective.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Im not saying the motor is bad by any means but performance, my car has almost 150,000 miles but that number alone only goes so far when everyone passes me

I understand its an accord but i recently heard of a j35a4 swap any info on that?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kmak466
Im not saying the motor is bad by any means but performance, my car has almost 150,000 miles but that number alone only goes so far when everyone passes me

I understand its an accord but i recently heard of a j35a4 swap any info on that?
When everyone passes you; 120+ isn't fast enough? Ummm, as you said, it's an Accord not an M5. As for having 150,000 miles on the clock; your engine is just barely broken in and might very well last another quarter of a million miles.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Any tips on a different motor and trans? I wanna keep up with my brothers sti

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Well in that case I'd sell the Accord and buy a used EVO/STI/M3 or some such. Think about it; the changes you're proposing for your current car will not only cost a lot of money but the resale value of your car will drop to almost nothing. If you get the equity out of your car now while it's still worth something and apply it to a faster car the difference won't be all that much, and then when resale time comes you'll be way-WAY ahead.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by shipo
Well in that case I'd sell the Accord and buy a used EVO/STI/M3 or some such. Think about it; the changes you're proposing for your current car will not only cost a lot of money but the resale value of your car will drop to almost nothing. If you get the equity out of your car now while it's still worth something and apply it to a faster car the difference won't be all that much, and then when resale time comes you'll be way-WAY ahead.
Good information for him Shipo, you get better with most every post you make . Honest- you really do.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails what is the best motor / trans setup for my 6th gen?e-th.jpg   what is the best motor / trans setup for my 6th gen?e-thank%2520you.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I eed info on a motor and trans THATS IT

Idc about resale / cost

I heard acura tl type s is best ?

if u dont have helpful info stop replying

Quick Reply: what is the best motor / trans setup for my 6th gen?e