Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

what can i do to my 91 accord to make it faster

Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Default what can i do to my 91 accord to make it faster

i was just wondering what i could do to my 1991 accord to make it faster. i wasnt sure if a new head or electrical would help. i would like to turbo but they are pricey. im just curious and trying to put some questions out for everyone to talk about. thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: what can i do to my 91 accord to make it faster

turbo, complete engine rebuild (more pricey then the turbo), nitros oxide aka the bottle cheaper then a turbo all things talked about many times on this forum, otherwise there are minor mods that can be done that will give you gains, just not gains as big as the 3 listed above, also things talked about many times on this forum

Old 09-12-2006, 05:55 PM

sorry if this is kinda stealin the thread but just wonder about how much would a rebuild go for... i have a 90 accord

Old 09-12-2006, 08:08 PM

what exactly are you going for on a rebuild?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 AM

well im a newb so what do u mean?...i want more power if thats wat u mean.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM

if you want more power from an engine rebuild, that means a higher compression ratio and go forged pistons and new rods, then bore out the cylinders to 90mm+ which means resleeving the engine and a resleeve will be no less then $1000 rods and pistons unless you manage a good deal no less then $800 but if you cant find the pistons for the bore you goto that means the pistons alone will cost 800, then port and polish the head so you can flow more air depending on where you go thats usually around $100 assuming that you take off the head and give it to them to work on, but those costs are varible anyways because its different depending on the place that does it. Then either the cam needs a regrind or a new one needs to be made which means $230 to $700 but your engine in non vtec so the new cam would be a little cheaper then you need a rechiped ecu and new injectors to account for the extra volume of the engine and you most likely wouldnt be running any less then 91octane gas so basically the cost is going to be around that of a turbo kit, its just your car will be out of commission longer

Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 PM

rebuilding the accord engine, i think it a waste, like Marbo said, all those money pourin in, turbo is a better way or a quick cheap way to gain power is h22a swap....it not as much but it fun and cheaper way to gain power for the accord body

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM

The thing is, if you want to run a lot of boost, you have to rebuild the engine, but youll get more power out of a f23 block and an h23,h22,f22b,f20a/b head then if you just swap in an h22 engine and it will be cheaper in the long run..... of course that would be assuming if you already had an f23 engine but it would be cheaper to engine swap then turn a f22 into a 200hp engine like an h22 engine

but turboing will be most cost effective and you only have to do a mild rebuild on the turbo every 40k+ miles and if you do it yourself it only costs around 100 dollars

Old 09-14-2006, 06:21 PM

my accord still has its stock f22, could i put a new head on it?

Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 PM

you could, but you have to keep in mind to get it to match a h22 you would have to have the block bored out 2 mm and have 11:1 compression pistons

but theres a guide out there for doing an f22 to h22 head swap all the parts you would need and about how much it would cost, but you could leave the bore at 85mm and still get good gains out of the engine by switching to high compression pistons.... assuming that is the route you would go but all things considering it would be easier to turbo the car and get 200hp+ out of it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what can i do to my 91 accord to make it faster