General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"cylinder 2 misfire detected"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default "cylinder 2 misfire detected"

I did a search and have read through many threads but I think its time to start a new one so I can describe everything that has lead up to this.

The vehicle is a 1997 2 door Honda Accord EX L4 2.2L VTEC

About 2 weeks ago my water pump went out so I had to change it. While I was in there I changed both timing belts and also adjusted the valves since I had it open. I screwed up on the valves though. I adjusted the intake for the exhaust clearance and the exhaust for the intake clearance. When I fired it up after all of that it was obvious that the valves were not adjusted right. So I opened it back up and realized my mistake and adjusted them again. I was very **** about it and went through the entire process twice to verify the were all correct. I fired up the car and I have never heard the engine run so smooth since I got it.

So off to work I go and before long the check engine light came on. I figured it was the EGR error that comes and goes but stopped at checker anyway. "Cylinder 2 misfire detected" I checked the valves again, verified the timing and reset the code. But it came back again today. So I purchased plugs, wires, cap and rotor and replaced them all. I unhooked the battery but did not erase the codes with a code reader. The code was gone and the engine is now nice and peppy. On the way home the light came back on so I stopped at Checker and read and erased the codes. I asked the guys inside what the next step was and they mentioned it could be a clogged injector or an engine problem. I bought some fuel additive and dumped it in the tank and headed home. On the way home the light came back on.

To add a little more detail. The light occasionally blinkswhen I am driving for few seconds then goes back to being on solid. Does this happen while its missing? It has happened several times and seems to happen with a slight acceleration. If I am heavy on the gas it is very responsive and it coasts and idles smooth.

So....
What are your thoughts on this? What is my next step? how do I check the fuel injection?

The engine is running great right now. Nice and quiet and smooth, it does not feel like it is missing at all. Is it possible the computer is messed up? maybe I bumped a wire while working on the water pump and timing?

Any ideas are very appreciated.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: "cylinder 2 misfire detected"

It could just be an error in detection. There could actually be no problem at all. The best way to see if you vehicle is missing is to find a good hill and go up.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: Planefreak

It could just be an error in detection. There could actually be no problem at all. The best way to see if you vehicle is missing is to find a good hill and go up.
I honestly dont think there is a problem. It is running smoother than it ever has and I go up several steep hills each day to and from work. It has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, valves are adjusted properly, timing was just done. The next possibility would be injectors.

So if it were an error in detection how would I troubleshoot it?

AlsoI have been paying particular attention to when the light flashes versus when it is steady. The only time it flashes is while accelerating lightly on flat terrainaround 2500 RPM, it is pretty consistent it comes on at about 2400 and stay on until 2700 or so. This does lead me to believe that it could possibly be an injector. Perhaps because I am light on the gas there isn't a force through the injector or something?? Is it bad to only replace one injector or should I do them all at once?

If the car were not due for inspection this month I would not even worry about it. But they check and make sure the light comes on then goes off before they will even do the emmisions. If you pull the bulb or if it stays on they fail it so I really need it to go away so I can renew the registeration.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

You can pull the backup fuse (7.5 amp radio fuse in engine box) for a minute to clear the ECU.

If you post the code on here PXXX, then the shop manual has some procedures to determine the problem. Is the code P0302?

For P0302 the list of sources of a misfire are:

Fuel injector clogging, fuel leakage, air leakage
Fuel injector circuit open or shorted
Injector resistor malfunction
Spark plug carbon deposits, fouling, malfunction
Ignition wires open, leaking
Distributor malfunction
Compression low
Valve clearance out of specification

Pull the spark plug on cylinder 2 and make sure it looks ok. Since you adjusted the valves, I would suggest to recheck the clearance. Make sure that you have cylinder 2 at the top of the cylinder. I did this by marking counting the camshaft pulley sprockets and marking the ones that are 90 degrees away from the cylinder 1 markings with whiteout. I thought that this was easier than guessing when the "up" arrow was pointing to the right or left.

Deserthonda has a writeup with good tips in the DIY section for valve adjustment.