General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

$830 for new distributor from mechanic. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Default $830 for new distributor from mechanic. HELP!!!

Hi guys. This is my 1st post. I wanted to share with you what my mechanic found.
1998 accord 4dr lx 4cyl

Needs a new distributor assembly.
He wants:
Distributor $578
Labor $173
Job supplies $40
Taxes $40

Approx. total $830!!!!!!

Now Im not a mechanic but that seems nuts. I took shop for 4 years back in HS. Ive done a few distributors and they were simple. Unplug, unbolt. re bolt and re plug. == good to go
And the distributors were nowhere near $578!!!!

What do you think? Should I have towed home and do it myself?
I've seen the videos on youtube. Simple.

1: mark your wires appropreatley
2. disconnect connection
3. remove bolts

off

to put on just repeat backwards.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

That price is likely for the OEM Honda distributor assembly. Did the mechanic say what was wrong with the distributor?

The Honda distributor is pretty simple. I've installed the distributor 180 off, so I just remove the distributor cap to see where the rotor is pointing and leave the wires on. The 98 distributor didn't have slotted holes and just bolts on, so you shouldn't have to worry about setting the base timing.

I can't remember if the 98-02 accords had a different distributor for the EX vs the LX/DX. If you have an external coil, just make sure you get the distributor that doesn't have an internal coil.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That price is likely for the OEM Honda distributor assembly. Did the mechanic say what was wrong with the distributor?

The Honda distributor is pretty simple. I've installed the distributor 180 off, so I just remove the distributor cap to see where the rotor is pointing and leave the wires on. The 98 distributor didn't have slotted holes and just bolts on, so you shouldn't have to worry about setting the base timing.

I can't remember if the 98-02 accords had a different distributor for the EX vs the LX/DX. If you have an external coil, just make sure you get the distributor that doesn't have an internal coil.
No, the 98-02 all use the coil inside the cap (they're all V-TEC motors). It's the 97 and earlier cars you've got to watch (my 97 is a non-V-TEC, with seperate coil).
But yes, you've got to watch the drive dog ears, as the end of the cam has an offset slot in it. The 98 on also use a non sloted distributor, so like you've mentioned, base timing won't change.

I bought a new distributor for my 97 from Rock Auto for a lot less than what your mechanic is asking. Did he tell you why it needs to be replaced? Is it oil seals? Or something else? I replaced mine due to oil leaks.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 09-29-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails 0 for new distributor from mechanic. HELP!!!-image_zpstgg0wgqd.png   0 for new distributor from mechanic. HELP!!!-image%25202_zpsw9jrpkem.png  
Old 09-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Deleted the first picture as it had your personal information on it.

I think the dwell test is due to the spark timing being off. The cam sensor is in the distributor, but the crank sensor is on the engine block. You may want to scan and get the actual codes to see what sensor/wiring is giving the error code.

You may want to remove the distributor cap and look for any obvious problems/damage on the wiring inside. Look for a red powder in there indicating a rusting bearing.

I don't see a ton of distributor issues on this site for the 98-00 accord like the early 90s accords, so you could save some money and get a junkyard part with confidence.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 PM

Ok, so you were/are having a no spark issue. According to them, the distributor housing is shot because the dwell is off. I thought that was controlled by the iginition control module (ICM), and or the CKP/TDC sensors (found behind the harmonic balancer). My only concern would be replacing the entire distributor, only to find it didn't fix the problem, because it needs the CKP/TDC sensors replaced instead/too.
Part of all this stems from my own "no start" issues. Although mine was fuel related, I still went thru the ignition system (among other things). I was looking at several things, and found replacing some items inside the distributor would be almost the same cost as a rebuilt unit from Rock Auto, so I bought one. Then I ended up replacing the CKP/TDC sensors because I was getting some funky readings that didn't match my 97 FSM book. Plus, with 234K on it, I could see that maybe it was worn some. But upon removing it, and testing it, it was fine. But with both parts replaced (maybe not with genuine Honda parts), I know I shouldn't have an issue on that part of the system for at least a year (it's warranty period). Plus, I still have my old parts that I can go thru.
Basically, I think I'd get it home, do a little online window shopping, and go from there. By the way, when was the last time the timing belts were changed?

Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 AM

The Toecutter: I also am concerned I have them replace it and still doesnt fix problem. Thats hy Im not comfortable having them replace it for $830 only to find another $500 that needs to be done. I'd rather replace myself for less then $100 and find more issues.

I was thinking about the timing belt and water pump also.
It NEEDS to be replaced. Lets just say that.

They will do the timing belt and water pump for $900. Does that sound fair?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by frldyz
The Toecutter: I also am concerned I have them replace it and still doesnt fix problem. Thats hy Im not comfortable having them replace it for $830 only to find another $500 that needs to be done. I'd rather replace myself for less then $100 and find more issues.

I was thinking about the timing belt and water pump also.
It NEEDS to be replaced. Lets just say that.

They will do the timing belt and water pump for $900. Does that sound fair?
I think I paid more than 100 for my new rebuilt one, but then it's got new parts inside, along with new seals (my old one was leaking).

As for the timing belts, I got an Aisin waterpump/belt kit from Rock Auto. I did my wife's car 1st, as we've had it longer, and I didn;t know when it was done last. She's already put over 15K miles on it (was mainly in there to do a water pump though). The kit was complete, with new tensioner bearings (Koyo made in Japan), Honda springs, Mitsuboshi belts (they're a big belt co in Japan), Aisin water pump (made in Japan), and a very complete set of instructions (better than Haynes has in their book). It was my 1st time doing belts on a Honda, and the instructions say the entire job should take almost 4 hours. It took me 4.5 to 4.75 hours to do it. I was very nervous taking it on, but it saved me a bunch of money (I think I had 130 in it for the kit with shipping, plus the cost of the tool). About the only thing I needed was a Honda harmonic balancer socket. I originally rented 1 from O'Reillys, but ended up keeping it, as I had a Civic to do (my son's car, and the easiest of the Honda belt changes I've done), and used it on my 97 Accord when I did belts on it (then a 2nd time when I changed the CKP/TDC sensors), and I'm going to use it on the new 99 I've got here. That 50 dollar tool is definitely paying for itself in the last year and a half. But that job is one of those take your time and DON'T get in a hurry type of jobs. Something to think about, IF the main timing belt lets go, it'll destroy the engine. I should mention, that my wife's car had 217K on it when I did the belts, my 97 had 234K on it when the belts were changed, and my son's Civic had 280K on it when the belt was changed. The 99 I just bought had the harmonic balancer come loose and it ate itself, But, that car also has 235K on it, so I'll probably be doing belts on it too.

The Honda dealer quoted my wife 400+ parts for doing the belts on her car, but, she's also friends with the guys in the service dept. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but 900 sounds excessively high for doing belts that should be changed every 60 to 80K. 900 sounds like they're charging 100+ an hour plus parts. Way tooo much. Hell that's more than body shop, furnace work, or a handfull of other jobs out there.
Sorry for the rant, but wow those guys are price gouging.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I think I paid more than 100 for my new rebuilt one, but then it's got new parts inside, along with new seals (my old one was leaking).

As for the timing belts, I got an Aisin waterpump/belt kit from Rock Auto. I did my wife's car 1st, as we've had it longer, and I didn;t know when it was done last. She's already put over 15K miles on it (was mainly in there to do a water pump though). The kit was complete, with new tensioner bearings (Koyo made in Japan), Honda springs, Mitsuboshi belts (they're a big belt co in Japan), Aisin water pump (made in Japan), and a very complete set of instructions (better than Haynes has in their book). It was my 1st time doing belts on a Honda, and the instructions say the entire job should take almost 4 hours. It took me 4.5 to 4.75 hours to do it. I was very nervous taking it on, but it saved me a bunch of money (I think I had 130 in it for the kit with shipping, plus the cost of the tool). About the only thing I needed was a Honda harmonic balancer socket. I originally rented 1 from O'Reillys, but ended up keeping it, as I had a Civic to do (my son's car, and the easiest of the Honda belt changes I've done), and used it on my 97 Accord when I did belts on it (then a 2nd time when I changed the CKP/TDC sensors), and I'm going to use it on the new 99 I've got here. That 50 dollar tool is definitely paying for itself in the last year and a half. But that job is one of those take your time and DON'T get in a hurry type of jobs. Something to think about, IF the main timing belt lets go, it'll destroy the engine. I should mention, that my wife's car had 217K on it when I did the belts, my 97 had 234K on it when the belts were changed, and my son's Civic had 280K on it when the belt was changed. The 99 I just bought had the harmonic balancer come loose and it ate itself, But, that car also has 235K on it, so I'll probably be doing belts on it too.

The Honda dealer quoted my wife 400+ parts for doing the belts on her car, but, she's also friends with the guys in the service dept. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but 900 sounds excessively high for doing belts that should be changed every 60 to 80K. 900 sounds like they're charging 100+ an hour plus parts. Way tooo much. Hell that's more than body shop, furnace work, or a handfull of other jobs out there.
Sorry for the rant, but wow those guys are price gouging.
$178 / hr there charge.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVv_57uSrUQ