General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 accord V6 sedan keeps draining the battery after changing alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Default 01 accord V6 sedan keeps draining the battery after changing alternator

Hi guys
I just recently changed the alternator for my 01 accord and it now kept draining the battery. I changed new battery it started fine and everything ran good, had it running for about 30mins no check engine lights but the TCS and ABS lights are on and off. Left it over night, battery is completely dead the next day, it wont start till jump the battery and it runs fine again. No lights on, everything seems in working order. The next day, battery is dead again. I checked all the fuses under the hood, both the side panels. There is no blown fuses. Alternator is working properly, new battery is fine. I couldn't find what is wrong with the car. However, the car has a remote starter. Could this be the reason why the battery is dead? I just don't see the reason why this could kill the battery. Any help is appreciated

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like there is a draw when the car is off....have a volt meter and some time?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM

I have the voltage meter and plenty of time. Where should I start off? the battery, alternator or Electric Load Detector?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Search for v=KF1gijj03_0 on YouTube for a good video on how to do a parasitic draw test.

Something in your car is drawing current and draining the battery.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Have the alternator checked, even though you just replaced it. It may be a bad diode in the replacement alternator which is allowing current to flow in the wrong direction A diode normally limits current in one direction, if it is bad, the current may go in the opposite direction and drain the battery.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Have the alternator checked, even though you just replaced it. It may be a bad diode in the replacement alternator which is allowing current to flow in the wrong direction A diode normally limits current in one direction, if it is bad, the current may go in the opposite direction and drain the battery.
I did take the car to Autozone. They did the check run and everything was fine. Alternator was charging, Battery was good, everything seemed in working order, just still don't know where the mystery current drawing is.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Search for v=KF1gijj03_0 on YouTube for a good video on how to do a parasitic draw test.

Something in your car is drawing current and draining the battery.
Thanks for the info. I did the parasitic check and there is 4.75 amp when the car is off, it should be 5 milliamp. I did pull all the fuses from the engine compartment, two side panels but still couldn't find the problem. There is one big 100A battery fuse and when I pulled it, it's at 0 amp. I took a few pictures but couldn't find the stupid usb cable so I can upload the pics.
Besides, when the car runs, SRS light, ABS and TCS lights are flickering on and off.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Try the draw test and unplug the electrical connector to the alternator.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Try the draw test and unplug the electrical connector to the alternator.
Thanks. I did play around with the alternator connector and plug it back in all the way. It worked, no more parasitic draw test but there is other problems..

1. The car idle little low, which means the rpm was below .500.
2. When I gave it some gas, the RPM needle, Fuel gage, and Temperature gage all dropped and they bounced right back when I release the gas pedal.
3. Traction control light, ABS light and SRS lights are on and off randomly...

I checked all the fuses, everything and nothing seemed out ordinary..

Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

What brand of alternator did you install in your accord?

Quick Reply: 01 accord V6 sedan keeps draining the battery after changing alternator