General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Accord no speedo no cruise no engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Default 02 Accord no speedo no cruise no engine light

02 Accord vtec
1. No speedo
2. No cruise
no blown fuses , no engine light , runs and drives as it should
scanner will pick up vehicle speed
ive tried it all I think junk yard clusters( 3 of them)
no aperent wiring issues that I have found
one thing that is odd when I check voltage on the vss circuit I get 4.77v with key on or off with the car in park or wheels spinning. 4.77v nothing ever changes.
Anyone have an idea? PCM maybe? Help!

Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Four or six cyl, auto or manual trans......number of doors might play into this so throw that out as well.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:48 PM

3.0L 6cly
Auto trans
4 doors

Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Did both of these problems appear at the same time?

What wire color (and where) were you getting 4.77V? What did you use as the ground for your volt meter?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:12 PM

I bought the car used so both where existing problems. I'm checking voltage on the blue/white wire (vss out from the pcm) ground is coming off a near by chassis ground and other depending where I'm checking. I've check voltage at the out of the pcm, behind the cluster and also at the cruise box under the dash. All the same 4.77v. I even cut the wire at the vss out at the pcm and ran a new one to the cluster to isolate anything else still no speedo. Weird part is with the vss out unplugged from the pcm I still get 4.77v on the blu/why everywhere else.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like there are 3 wires going to the VSS; blk, blk/yel, and blu/wht.

Does the black yellow have 12V at the VSS when unplugged? Use a good body ground as the ground. Also use the blk wire on the VSS connector as your ground.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It looks like there are 3 wires going to the VSS; blk, blk/yel, and blu/wht.

Does the black yellow have 12V at the VSS when unplugged? Use a good body ground as the ground. Also use the blk wire on the VSS connector as your ground.

I havent checked the black yellow but I have checked the ground at the pcm and cluster, all are good. Thanks for you time and help!!!
This issue has become a little personal between me an the little Honda. Thanks again I will post results soon.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the V6 doesn't have a vehicle speed sensor. The vehicle speed comes from the countershaft speed sensor.

It is strange that you are getting 4.77V with the blu/wht removed from pin A9 on the PCM. Check that your volt meter can read 12V across the battery posts.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 AM

It actually has two vss sensors one on the top of trans and the other on the front /side. I've tried swapping them and there was no change. It's really strange with still seeing voltage and the blu/why wire being open from the pcm. I see voltage with the key on or off. I have to believe that they are functioning as they should with the car running, driving and shifting as it should be.
I'm new to the forum and I have to say I'm glad I joined you've been more then helpful!
Thanks again

ps I did unplug the vss (one on the top) and went for a drive. The immediately new something was up!! D4 light flashing engine light and drove terrible.

Last edited by rob123stew; 02-21-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rob123stew
ps I did unplug the vss (one on the top) and went for a drive. The immediately new something was up!! D4 light flashing engine light and drove terrible.
Well, this means the upper one was working (allowing the trans to shift correctly). This also means that you've isolated the problem to the side/front sensor and it's circuit.

Quick Reply: 02 Accord no speedo no cruise no engine light