General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Exhaust/Gas smell in Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Default 02 Exhaust/Gas smell in Cabin

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I recently purchased a used 02 Accord Coupe 4cyl 2.3L auto with about 147,000 on it. I've had it for about a month now and have started to smell what seems to be exhaust fumes when sitting still even when no one is parked in front of me or as it warms up in my drive way.

The car seemed to be in great condition "with no known problems" or codes present. But there was a brand new air freshener in it when i got it so maybe he knew something and was trying to mask the smell that is now present.

I searched on the site and didn't turn up much for anyone else experiencing this. Any one have any pointers, links or tips to help? I would really appreciate it.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my best guess is that the exhaust is leaking somewhere near the cabin air return. But this is my first Honda anything. What should i look for.

Thanks Again!!!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:31 AM

It there is an exhaust leak you should be able to hear it, even if it is subtle. It might be as simple as wind direction. If the air is relatively calm the exhaust from the tail pipe may slowly migrate towards the air intake under the windshield couling the same as when stopped in traffic you can sometimes smell the exhaust from the car in front. This would be my guess. You can turn the air source to cabin recirculation which cuts out the external air while sitting and warming up. That being said you should still give the exhaust a thorough inspection and repair accordingly.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

It does seem to be a little louder than what i would think a stock 4cl would sound like. And by that i mean louder engine noise when running not noise from the tail pipe. I'll probably jack it up tomorrow and see whats going on.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Default I have the same problem!

I have a 2000 Honda Accord and it just started doing this. It must be some sort of design problem. Just driving a quarter mile makes me sick from breathing in those exhaust fumes.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by whitliggett
I have a 2000 Honda Accord and it just started doing this. It must be some sort of design problem. Just driving a quarter mile makes me sick from breathing in those exhaust fumes.
A design problem? Not likely, more like a maintenance issue; get your car checked out.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

You have an exhaust leak somewhere. Breathing in exhaust fumes is dangerous and potentially kill you. Take your car to a shop to find and fix the exhaust leak.

If you want to try to find the leak try spraying down the exhaust pipe with soapy water. Then start the car. Try to find suds from the leaks. Replacing exhaust parts can be a pain if you live in the north where the roads are salted.

I recommend driving with the windows down until you get this fixed. It is not worth getting carbon monoxide asphyxiation.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Carbon monoxide is poisonous at far lower levels than asphyxiation.

Asphyxiation is simply diluting the air so the %oxygen falls below 19%. Carbon monoxide will kill you at far far smaller amounts than that.