General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'03 Accord Tune-up - What should be included?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '03 Accord Tune-up - What should be included?

Hi all,

I have an '03 Accord EXV6 that has 123,000 miles on it and still has the original plugs, coils, wires, etc. I know it needs a tune-up and want to be thorough. As I know understand there are mini-coils on each cylinder, I am wondering if wires need to be included, for example.

What do others with these cars who do the work themselves include? Or more to the point what would you include at 123,000 if you hadn't done a tune-up prior to this?

Thank you for any and all information you can give me.

Dave

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

perform the 120k service.......

plugs,, air filter, cabin filter, tranny fluid, o/f, brake fluid,

Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

DesertHonda,

Thanks for the quick response!

I just have one question on it. What do you mean by "o/f"? I probably should know, it has just been many years since I did my own work and getting back into it now due to the economy and lack of funds.

I appreciate the response.

Dave

Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

oil/filter

Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks.

I wasn't even thinking of that as I always have had them changed with the oil. Air filter, cabin filter and oil filter have already been changed recently, so basically it is just the plugs, tranny fluid and brake fluid that I need to do now.

Great, thanks.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:32 AM

If you really are short on money you can prolly leave the plugs in for awhile longing. The NGK platinum plugs that honda uses don't really wear out the way standard plugs do. I have personally seen a plug with 250K miles on it that was not worn. The only reason they suggest replacement at 105 is to cover their butts. Since the plugs aren't cheap and you have six of them it adds up fast.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks McNoople, that is good to know. I was pricing the things and was unpleasantly surprised at the total.

I am assuming the other services are necessary at this point though. Brake and Tranny fluid for example.

Dave

Old 08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

2003 V-6 has a timing belt, right? That would be overdue for replacement. Unfortunately, that a big ($$) job.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air & becomes corrosive. Fresh every 2 or 3 years is good. It's not a real absolute mileage thing, it's more related to time.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

JimBlake,

I believe you are right about the V6 having a timing belt. Is there a way to check it for wear to see how much longer I can stretch it? As you point out, it is an expensive job to have done and I haven't seen much on the web about how to replace it as a DIY job. I found a video on replacing it for a 4 cylinder, but the V6 is different with a different set of potential pitfalls I am sure.

The most involved job I did on an engine was a water pump on a '68 Ford many years ago. There is no doubt in my mind that replacing a timing belt today is probably a bit more complicated. Any thoughts on that?

Also, replacing the brake fluid requires bleeding the lines. Used to be that you would unscrew the brake lines, take the top off of the master cylinder and depress the brake pedal to push the fluid out. Is there anything additional/different to do on the Accord?

Thank you and regards,
Dave

Last edited by DAMc; 08-18-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add additional detail
Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I've never done the timing belt on a V-6. Gotta be a bit more complicated, with more pulleys, but the idea is the same. See if any of the download manuals in the DIY section cover the V-6?

Brake bleeding is the same, but open the bleed valves on the calipers, don't open the hoses. Bleeding order is LF-RF-RR-LR. Don't have to do anything special for ABS since it bleeds through the ABS unit as you do each wheel.

Quick Reply: '03 Accord Tune-up - What should be included?