General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'04 Accord LX aC only cold on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Default '04 Accord LX aC only cold on passenger side

Hi,

I have an '04 Accord LX, which does not have dual climate control. The passenger's side vents blow very cold air with the AC on (measured with a lab thermometer, and it's air is about 34 to 38 degrees F), but the driver's side vents only blow air that is about 60 to 65 degrees F, constant. The mode control does work properly, meaning air comes out at the floor when that mode is selected, and out the vents when that mode is selected, at the windshield when Defrost is selected, etc. I have noticed that the driver's side vents also have a lower air output volume than the passenger's side vents, making it seem like the duct for the driver's side has popped apart, allowing a lot of ambient air to bleed into that duct--?. By the way, the driver's side air does get hot if I move the temperature control to the hot end of the temperature control range. Anyone else experience this? I plan on repairing this myself, but just want to know if I am thinking the right thing (that maybe the air duct for the driver's popped apart). I should add that this past winter, on a couple of occasions, I had been driving with the heat ruunning for a while, and ejected a CD from the CD player, and the CD was hot--and I mean about 120 degrees F, at least. This leads me to believe that I have a duct inside the dash that has popped apart and is blowing air into the cavity, which caused the stereo to get hot, heating up the CD.

Last edited by Getitright; 05-15-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Add more information related to symptom
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
This area is really just for welcome & introductions, so I'll move the post over to General Tech.

That problem can happen from low refrigerant inventory in the AC system. But before you just go & add some, you need to measure high & low pressures. Other things like a blocked expansion valve can do this, and if that's it you don't want to add refrigerant.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, symptoms of low refrigerant.

Also, see this other thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...houghts-25886/

There are similar thread on other Honda forums too related to 7th gen Accords.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Default '04 Accord A/C temperature imbalance fix

Thanks for the tips, fellas. My refridgerant was rather low (about 14 psi on low pressure side), but what I didn't know is that the driver's side A/C vents are "fed" from the upper portion of the evaporator, and the passenger's side vents are fed by the lower portion of the evaporator, and the "pooling" of what little refridgerant was present in the lower half of the evaporator is what caused the passenger's side to be cold, but the driver's side to be comparitively warm, even thought it doesn't have dual climate control. Charging it up with freon solved the problem. Now it averages about 41 to 43 drgrees F in all vents.

Many thanks for all of your help!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM

I have an 03' accord coupe. I bought a compressor kit that came with and expansion valve. I plan to do the replacement on my own but I don't know the exact location of the expansion valve, how to get to it and if there are any special tools involved. Can someone help me with this?