General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 v6 6speed cpe p2138

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Default 04 v6 6speed cpe p2138

I am having trouble with this 04 accord... v6 6 speed cpe. it starts to act like i am not smoothe on throttle while going down the straight... and no it's not my driving it happens to everyone that drives it... the the check engine light will come on and so will the tcs lights. the code is a p2138 voltage corralation and it has to do with the app sensor... what is the most possible cause? is it the cpu or the sensor or harness??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!! the car has 92000 all city driving... i mean start and stop.. a little history, i was at one point havingto drive 210 to 230 miles a day. yes that is over 1000 miles a week i know, and i did that for over 4 months. the engine is strong and just gave it a tune up... about to do the water pump timing belt.... but the app sensor thing is driving me crazy... and i dont want to take it to a dealer... if it is the app sensor it is $130 and the dealer will charge me $90 just to stare at the car. and i can put it in with a couple of wrenches and a ratchet and it takes 20 min and i can do it in the driveway... so any of you super honda guy's please let me know. thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 04 v6 6speed cpe p2138

it could be a bad app sensor ( accell pedal position ) , but i would hate for you to replace it till you properly diagnose it.. chk the wiring , make sure that there are no loose wire in the connector,, also chk the wiring in the ecm/pcm,, it is the D connector it has 17 wires in it ..
But my advice is for you to have it properly diagnosed by the dealer of a shop that specializes on hondas .

Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Default RE: 04 v6 6speed cpe p2138

I checked the connector on the sensor itself first because I thought it was bad, and it turned out ok so I know that the plug on that end is good. also the car has only done this in the past 2 months. so it is a recent thing. I also forgot to mention that the car has been in a big accident before, it was back in july of 04 it was hit by a older Ford Explorer. and it caved the trunk to the back seat but hit to high to do alot of real damage. only $6k. oh yeah I almost forgot it is smooth as glass when I do use the cruse controll. so if this opens any new ideas or changes anything please let me know... thanks again

Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Time to bring this post back from the archives!
I also have a 2004 V6 6speed Coupe and am experiencing this exact problem! My car was also in an accident two years ago when I hit a deer at night. At least I got some venison out of it !
Would you be able to tell me what the final diagnosis was for your coupe slomo1983?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM

How about I also bring this one back too... Funny thing is my Accord was ALSO in a crash,,, beginning to notice a small WEIRD pattern here...

Some idiot ran a red on his bicycyle and I had the joy of a last minute choice... Swerve to avoid him,, Or slam on the brakes,,, I swerved saving buddy's life, and the swerved resulted in a fishtail that resulted in my car's rear end (Driver's side) eating a lamp post... 8000$ damage later the car survived being a write off. I can provide a pic if someone wants lol

It's the 2004 EX V6 coupe with the V-Tec I own... Took the garage almost 2 months to have it completely fixed, they ended up screwing up things that weren't damged in the first place while restoring the car... Was a HUGE headache! and it definitely wasn't fun puttering around in their little Echo loaner. Gas mileage was nice... thats it.

Anyway after I got the car back I'm driving home one night and all of the sudden I go to take off after a light changed green and I GOT NOTHING! the car is still idling noramlly but I got NOOOOO power what-so-ever to move. CEL light on, TCS light on.... Well a little power, but not much cause I was able to crawl into the nearest parking lot, stop the vehicle, wait 30 secs then tried starting it... Was able to leave and get home. The car has since done it a few times, each time I turn off the engine and re-start and I can drive again, so far I've yet to remain stuck..

I had the same garage check what code came out for the CEL and it was P2138... Voltage corralation... APP sensor.

Buddy at the garage phoned Honda to check and see if it was on the list of recalls,, of course it wasn't... (my luck SUCKS) He ended up telling me to pop my hood and locate the sensor for the APP, I did (on the Radiator) he told me to examine it for any wear, and check the connectors and wires.... All seemed ok and looked the way they should be,,, So after I pulled the sensor out of the socket and examined it, I plugged it back in.

So far the car has not stalled once (since Thursday Oct 7th) and I have had no CEL or TCS light on. The car seems to have improved on gas mileage... it might just be me but I'm sure I should have less than what I do now...

Could our crashes have jolted the connector EVER so slightly that it needed to be re-adjusted.

Or is my car bound to stall on me again when I go to take off or when I gear down to slow down.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Hey Vtec,

I never posted a final resolution to my challenge. What the issue ended up being for my Honda Accord was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. I borrowed a code scanner from a friend and had it in the car with me, waiting for the next time it acted up. Once it did, I plugged it in and grabbed the code. Take a look at the link below, do some research too.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5890709_sy...on-sensor.html
The job ended up costing me about $500, apparently the part is buried inside the car and the majority of the cost was labor. I replaced this part over a year ago and have had a single issue since.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by doneill220
Hey Vtec,

I never posted a final resolution to my challenge. What the issue ended up being for my Honda Accord was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. I borrowed a code scanner from a friend and had it in the car with me, waiting for the next time it acted up. Once it did, I plugged it in and grabbed the code. Take a look at the link below, do some research too.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5890709_sy...on-sensor.html
The job ended up costing me about $500, apparently the part is buried inside the car and the majority of the cost was labor. I replaced this part over a year ago and have had a single issue since.
Thanks a lot DoNeill!

It definitley explained a lot... Sensor might not be need to be changed though. A mechanic told me to buy a can of intake cleaner, remove cover exposing throttle and spray the crap out of it while someone presses the accelerator on and off as the throttle opens and closes.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

The TPS is on the throttle shaft, opposite the cable drum. There's 3 wires. Somewhere (I think in the DIY section) is a post saying what voltages you want to see on those 3 wires as you open & close the throttle.