General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 V6 Accord CNC Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Default 04 V6 Accord CNC Conversion?

I live in Chicago. Regular is now about $4.79 per gallon, and poised just to go higher. Seriously looking to do something about gas prices here.

Searching the internet, I got the idea to do a CNG conversion. Not much info about accord CNG conversions though, so I figured I'd post here.

1. Some people say to take your car to a shop to do a CNG conversion, but that's very expensive. Check out - Natural Gas Conversions Could Cost a Couple Hundred - seems that why CNG shops are very expensive. I'd rather just get a kit and have a mechanic I know put it in under the radar.

2. Is there any kind of CNG conversion kit for an accord? Most of the info I found on the net showed people in India doing it. I'd rather get a kit than have to scrounge up and design the system myself.

3. For CNG fueling, is there any way instead of having to go to a CNG station that I could just hook it up to my gas line at home? That would make it super super convenient!

Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest a lot more research. I've looked at this and concluded that although you might achieve conversion for <$1000, you will be tied to very limited filling stations. Houston has 3 stations, none near me. A home pump will cost at least $5000, and maybe a lot more. Home pumps are not readily available and in most cases can not be installed by owner, and most should not as getting it wrong could explode your house.

Even if you save a buck a gallon equivalent, you will have to drive a long time to pay back such an investment.

Unless you happen to have a gas well in your backyard, there are better ways to save money. Check youtube video of fellow w/ his own gas well compressing NG for his buick.

good luck

Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM

I live in Chicago, and although I'd like a pump at my house for the convenience I actually do have 2 CNG stations within about 10-15 minutes of me.

Converting does come down to the numbers - I've heard that magic $1000ish figure before, even if I shell out $1500 to get a bigger tank for bigger range that's also fine. But I've also heard the conversion cost to get it done at a shop is like $12,000, I am going to try to verify this. The $12,000 breaks the bank on CNG conversion.

So I would be curious to know if anybody has a kit or has done the $1000ish CNG conversion on their accord.