General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05' Accord Hybrid - Shifter doesn't lock with key out or Locks in Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 05' Accord Hybrid - Shifter doesn't lock with key out or Locks in Park

I started experiencing an issue with the shifter getting locked in the park postition when the weather was VERY cold (below 20F) which usually got unstuck after 2-3 minutes after the car was turned on and warmed up.

During that time I can see that the brake lights operate properly indicating the the brake switch is operating properly.

However I also realized that the shifter can move freely with the ignition key out of the car for at least a few minutes before the button locks up again as it is supposed to do. When the car is warm or if I drive the car in the middle of the day I can confirm that the locked switch is released once the brake is pressed.

Is the freely moved shifter after the engine shutoff a normal operation or is it supposed to lock as soon as the key is removed from the ignition?

Could this indicate a trans solenoid issue, I do not see any codes flashing on the Shifter indicator in the dashboard. If there is an issue with the solenoid wouldn't this show on the dashboard as a flashing of the shifter indicator?

Thanks

Mike

Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Arrow

Q1: Is the freely moved shifter after the engine shutoff a normal operation or is it supposed to lock as soon as the key is removed from the ignition?

A1: If the ignition switch is no longer in the ON (II) position (i.e. off), the shifter should be locked.

Q2: Could this indicate a trans solenoid issue, I do not see any codes flashing on the Shifter indicator in the dashboard. If there is an issue with the solenoid wouldn't this show on the dashboard as a flashing of the shifter indicator?

A2-1: Some possible issues may be:
  • faulty shift lock solenoid (it is at the shifter assembly and separately replaceable).
  • short at ignition switch or power (+) Yel wire going to shift lock solenoid - Under-dash fuse no. 21 (7.5A) which supplies power (+) to the shift lock solenoid, should only be Hot in the ON (II) position. Unlikely; but, not impossible that shift lock solenoid is also grounded at the same time.
Next time it can freely be shifted out of Park without the ignition ON, etc., pull under-dash Fuse No. 21 and see if you can still shift out of PARK.

A2-2: Having an issue with the shift lock solenoid would unlikely show a trouble code. There is no signal input to the PCM and the PCM does not monitor anything at the shifter assembly. Instead the PCM provides ground to energize the shift lock solenoid.

This is how the shift position lock works:
With the Ignition Switch in ON (II), battery voltage is supplied through fuse 21 (in the under-dash fuse/relay box) to the Shift Lock Solenoid. When the Brake Pedal is pressed, a battery voltage input is supplied to the PCM and
the MICU. If, at the same time, the accelerator pedal is not pressed, the PCM provides ground to the Shift Lock Solenoid. The solenoid is then energized allowing the Shift Lever to be moved.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had the chance to try again this morning with the outside temperature in the low 20s and I pulled fuse #21 once the key was out of the ignition and I was able to move the shifter freely. I was still able to move the lever after the pulled fuse.

So this confirms that the solenoid 80% of the time doesn't lock the shifter once the key is out of the ignition and removing the fuse doesn't make any difference. If the outside gets into the singe digits to middle 10s I am unable to move out of park until the car worms up for a few minutes.

Can I safely assume the solenoid is faulty?

Thanks for the detail description of the troubleshooting and operation description.

Mike

Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

When it's cold and you are unable to move the shifter, will it move after you insert something (key or screwdriver) into the shifter-unlock slot?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

It's a high probability the shift lock solenoid is faulty.

It would be best to remove the center console and observe the operation of the lock solenoid before purchasing a replacement. It should not move freely or be retracted when it supposed to be locked.

Replacement shift lock solenoid comes with new plunger and spring.

Attached Thumbnails 05' Accord Hybrid - Shifter doesn't lock with key out or Locks in Park-shift-lock-solenoid.jpg