General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

0W20 Engine Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Default 0W20 Engine Oil?

The Honda owner manual recommends using 0W20 synthetic engine oil in their new Accord. I believe Toyota is doing the same. From what I've read, this oil was developed to help the manufacturers meet fuel economy federal guideline requirements for certain type cars by helping the overall average MPG across the board.

My question is, "Is 0W20 the best oil to use for protecting the life of the engine, or, is the best oil to use to help Honda meet fuel mileage guidelines?" Honda states that 5W20 is acceptable in lieu of 0W20.

I want to use the best oil for the life and lubrication needs of the engine. I don't really care about helping Honda meet fuel economy standards if it means using a thinner less lubricating oil.

So, what weight of synthetic oil do you recommend? FYI, I live in the Houston, TX area so cold temperature is not a concern.

thanks...............

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM

I would follow Honda's recommendation. They should know best. Besides, I would think that anything that increases fuel economy should also be good for the car.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

0 weight has the consistency of water.

I couldn't imagine that it give much long term protection against wear on the metal parts of the engine. I would not run it my car that I was going to keep for a while even if it was recommended my Honda. IMO

Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM

But the fact that this 0W20 is synthetic might help?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
But the fact that this 0W20 is synthetic might help?
well yes I would guess so but I think they (Honda) might be sacrificing longevity (cuase there is not much money in it for them for us to drive these cars 20+ years) for MPG which does sell cars.

I run 5 weight in my sportbikes but I def do not expect them to last much more than 30-50k miles. However I want want my Honda (car) to last 300K miles.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

For the newer cars that recommend 0W-20 or 5W-20, these oil viscosity are used for fuel economy; but, at the same time provide protection for the engine. Many of the oils sold under these viscosity meet GF-4 standards. Generally, the motor should out-last many other parts of the car if you do regular recommended maintenance, check fluid levels, etc. Mobil 1 0W-20 and 5W-20 meet GF-4 standards, as well as many other quality synthetics out there.

I have close to 90K on my 2009 already.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Living in Texas, I would consider using 5w-20 in the summer.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

OP is talking about a new Accord, right? Designed with the bearing clearances appropriate for a 20 weight oil.

Oil "weight" numbers are an archaic system that relates to viscosity in a very obscure way.

The number without the "W" is the weight of the oil, so 20-weight is what your engine calls for. There is no lubricating oil having a viscosity that's constant over the range of temperatures from 32F to 220F.

0W means "winter" and so when the oil is at a temperature of 32.F it has the viscosity of a "0-weight" oil. That's still A LOT thicker than a 20-weight oil at operating temperature. So even though it says 0w, it's not really a 0-weight oil. Confused yet?

Zero-weight having the consistency of water? I gotta do some homework with actual viscosity numbers, but I don't think that's true.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Tenbrooks, you think like I do, so we're both right!
Like you, my concern is engine longevity w/ minimum problems, not 0.13% better fuel economy.

I've always used the thicker oil option, 5W-20 in your case, as long as the temp ranges
match up to the owners manual. Houston is - duh - hot, too.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
OP is talking about a new Accord, right? Designed with the bearing clearances appropriate for a 20 weight oil.

Oil "weight" numbers are an archaic system that relates to viscosity in a very obscure way.

The number without the "W" is the weight of the oil, so 20-weight is what your engine calls for. There is no lubricating oil having a viscosity that's constant over the range of temperatures from 32F to 220F.

0W means "winter" and so when the oil is at a temperature of 32.F it has the viscosity of a "0-weight" oil. That's still A LOT thicker than a 20-weight oil at operating temperature. So even though it says 0w, it's not really a 0-weight oil. Confused yet? --YES

Zero-weight having the consistency of water? I gotta do some homework with actual viscosity numbers, but I don't think that's true.
--that was based on the little bit of oil knowledge I have. It was def an opinion not a fact I am I vary open to being corrected

Quick Reply: 0W20 Engine Oil?