General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Accord clutch or clutch cable issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1988 Accord clutch or clutch cable issue.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have on my issue.
I own a 250,000 mile 1988 Honda Accord LXi hatchback with a 5 speed manual. My wife bought it 1991, and, to my knowledge, the clutch has never been changed. That being said, it showed no signs of needing replacement. However, something might be wrong, hence this post.
I used to drive it all the time (5 years +) as my commuter car. I was familiar with the clutch pedal engage/disengage point as far as its relation to its stroke; about half way from fully depressed to the floor and fully released. The pedal travel is about 6 inches, and the engage/disengage point was about 3 inches.
About early August, I began commuting on a motorcycle and my wife used the car. I got in it last week to go to work. Surprisingly, the engage/disengage point of the pedal is now a lot closer to the floor than when I last drove it. About 1-2 inches from the floor. Aside from this change, the clutch seems to be working fine, with no slipping. No weird sounds indicating the throw-out bearing is bad. Nothing is different other than the closer to the floor engage/disengage point.
I looked at the cable and the available adjustment on the engine side, and it looks like there's no adjustment left to bring that engage/disengage point back to the mid-stroke position I was used to.
So, I'm hoping someone could tell me what's going on. Is a new clutch in my future? Cable suddenly stretching? Is there a second way to adjust the cable up under the dash?
Or, maybe I'm confused because I drive 18 wheeler with a manual trans and I'm thinking of ITS clutch rather than the Accord.
Again, thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM

No, the only way to adjust it is with the nut near the throw out arm. The cables do stretch over time, usually internally and do fray which allows them more stretch and eventually will break. It might be worth locating a new cable as they users to be relatively cheap. It goes without saying that a new clutch may also be the likely cause. Make sure to have it done before ruining the fly wheel as the divots will eventually grind into it and then it will need to be resurfaced, as I am sure you are aware of.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

First, thanks for the reply. The cable was at max adjustment, and did not appear to be broken. I took the cable from the arm and pulled on the cable quite hard, hoping it would be stretched and broken. I hoped because that was the easy fix! But, such is not the case. I think it's clutch time!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Max adjustment meaning you have made the cable as long as possible?

As the clutch wears out, the cable has to be adjusted "longer". Eventually you run out of length...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I posted this in another thread by the OP.

Yes it does get "longer" becasue you "tighten the lock nut" towrads the "stopper". I never like to adjust the lock nut except when I first replace the clutch and flywheel. To adjust, I pull on the casing of the cable just a bit and then screw the lock/jam nut in or out depending on where I'm trying to get to.

There should be a small rubber "washer" with a "nub" sticking up between the jam nut and the arm. The "nub" on that rubber washer locks into one of the groves on the jam nut when at rest. That little nub will keep the jam nut from moving - holds it from spinning.

Sorry I go a little over board when it come to the little 3rd gens as I've spent a ton of time with them.....love the little fellas

Attached Thumbnails 1988 Accord clutch or clutch cable issue.-3rd-gen-clutch-adjust.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes the cable was adjusted to the farthest 'out' it could go. With the cable disconnected, I pushed the bell crank arm, and it was apparent that all is not well inside. So, she's up on jack stands and I'm beginning to dig in to it. Never done a front wheel drive clutch before, so it'll be interesting. I'll keep you posted...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Wait a minute... I just read your other post where you say the clutch releases closer & closer to the floor. That's opposite from what I assumed in this post (because I wasn't paying attention to what you said in post #1 here).

A worn-out clutch would release higher & higher until it begins slipping even when you don't press the pedal at all.

Try adjusting the clutch cable shorter.