General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord "s" light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1990 Accord "s" light blinking

I was pulling out of a parking lot the other day and the 'S' light on my dash that is associated with the sport mode on my shifter began to blink on and off.I figure this is also the service light. When the light began to flash I noticed that when I applied the gas the car did not accelerate like it should it was more of a gradual acceleration with a lack of response to how much I was pushing down on the peddle. I am not sure if this is associated with the problem just described but the battery light turned on about 4 months ago but the battery is nearly brand new so I sort of ignored the light because the car was not acting up in any way when the light is lite on the dash. I was reading the other threads and I noticed that it is prefered that I post a code that I can get from "cheif or auto zone" for no charge. So I am going to try to get that done today and get back to you. In the mean time if the description that I just posted rings any bells as far as possible transmision problem or alternator problem please go ahead and respond. I need all the help I can get. I need this car to last me quite a while. Thanks

Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Default RE: 1990 Accord "s" light blinking

there is a common issue with the speed sensor in that car that may cause the S light to flash. Generally speaking if this is the issue then your speedo will also be acting a bit odd.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:06 PM

It could be the button on the shifter failing or the computer that controls the traction control that is acting up....

Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 PM

did the 1990 accords have traction control systems? I thought that was a fairly new technology to honda....

Old 04-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: brad6841

It could be the button on the shifter failing or the computer that controls the traction control that is acting up....
,, Nope and nope,,

first off no traction control,
and it is not the button on shifter failing..

Land Shark ,, you need to read the code and post it here,, it will give us more of an idea ..
to read the code, jump the service connector located on rt side of dash , below glove box, on kick panel,, it is a blue plug , could be wrapped in blue tape , it has 2 wires going to it,,
once you find it, jump the 2 wires together ,( paper clip ) put the key on and count the S lite flashes ,on the instrument cluster , let it show the code a couple of times to make sure all you got is only one code , short blink+ 1 longer blink = 10

Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Ok color me retarted....[:@]

Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: brad6841

Ok color me retarted....[:@]

no need to color you anything my friend.....I for 1 appreciate yopu taking timing to reply and try to help,,, Not every reply that we give are always going to be the correct ones .
so for now you are still colorless

Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM

it was a valid thought... it's a common error code for cars that do have traction control.... Lord knows I've been wrong quite a few times.... The reply and attempt is very much appreciated though, brainstorming never hurts!

Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM

ive definately been wrong a good many times

Old 05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I think I figured out what was going on? My car was being powerd by my battery and since I had been drivng for a little while it was not going off my alternator. Which would explain the lack of power and dimming of the clock which accured simontaniously. Is there a wrong and a right way to approach replacing the alternator? Does it require taking the power sterring pump all the way off or is it possible to loosen the pivot bolt to adjust it back a little out of the way to get to the alternator pivot bolt under the belts.I also used the paper clip advice to flash the codes on my dash and it was either 2 or 11 that I could decipher from how the check engine light was blinking. If you could tell me what those two codes translate too. Thankx Chad

Quick Reply: 1990 Accord "s" light blinking