General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord Battery Fuse Problem

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Default 1990 Accord Battery Fuse Problem

I have a 1990 Accord LX 2.2L manual transmission. This car was originally an automatic but the previous owner swapped in a manual transmission and a newer engine. When I took it to a shop, they told me that whoever did the swap didn't ground some wires correctly but that they took care of it. The car was running fine for a few weeks, then one day I went out to try start it and it was completely dead. I had been driving it just an hour earlier but now when I turn the key it makes no noise and no lights come on or anything. So I figured that the battery was dead, gave it a charge, same thing. I also got the battery checked and it was fine. I then checked the fuses and the 80a main battery fuse was blown. I replaced that fuse and as soon as I reconnected the battery it blew. I then disconnected the alternator wire from the fuse box and replaced the fuse again. This time the car did come on when I put the key in the II position but it did a bunch of weird stuff. The windshield wipers came on and one of the running lights came on. So now I determined that the problem was in the alternator because whenever it's connected to the fuse box the main battery fuse blows. I need to know if it is in fact my alternator and if I should replace the whole thing or just a part of it. The alternator plug is a bit corroded so maybe that could be the problem? Battery posts and terminals appear to be fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

If the battery was fully charged, I am guessing that the strange electrical stuff would work when the alternator is disconnected.

Some parts stores can bench test an alternator, if you remove it and take it in. Call ahead of time.

I would inspect all of the battery cables for signs of wear. Also inspect that wiring harness, just to be sure that it isn't grounded somewhere.

Since the motor was swapped, look to see what engine was put into your car. The engine block should be stamped on the front of the engine block to the passenger side of the front motor mount. It should say f22.... or h22....

Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM

It's an F22A1.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM

I replaced the alternator and the fuse is no longer blowing, however the car still wasn't getting any power except for the horn. I then realized that the main ground wasn't connected to the negative battery terminal. I connected the ground and whenever I try to connect the negative terminal to the negative battery post, sparks fly off and it melts the post.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

You probably have exposed wiring on the positive battery terminal cable that is touching the chassis, which is causing a short when the negative cable from ground is attached to the battery. From your previous picture, your wiring connections on both cable terminal connectors aren't very good. I would check the entire positive cable run. After that, I would buy new cables with the connectors already attached or buy better type of terminal connectors.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Is it me or are the cables backwards? The end with two cables is on the ground and the one is on the hot......

OP- the red cable.....what does it connect to?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Is it me or are the cables backwards? The end with two cables is on the ground and the one is on the hot......

OP- the red cable.....what does it connect to?
Lol, poorman212, you may be right. I never had a 4th gen Accord and don't remember exactly 100% how my previous 5th gen Accord looked like. But, you seem correct.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well I'm use to the Pos (+) splitting to both the fuse panel and the starter...so two cables........then the gound is one with "two" lugs, one to the body and the end to the trans case......just me......

Hope you've been doing ok...PM or e-mail me when you can.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-30-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Well I'm use to the Pos (+) splitting to both the fuse panel and the starter...so two cables........then the gound is one with "two" lugs, one to the body and the end to the trans case......just me......

Hope you've been doing ok...PM or e-mail me when you can.
Poorman212, I'll PM or e-mail you when I can. My life has been very busy for the last few months and right now...so, it may be a week or so before I will. My mind is not in one place right now.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, when you can.

OP_sorry about this/that....some friends trying to catch up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 Accord Battery Fuse Problem