General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord EX Brake Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Default 1990 Accord EX Brake Light issue

Hello,

I just bought this Accord for $900! It's in really good condition with 167k miles on it. There are a few minor things wrong but overall I'm really happy.

The main issue I'm having is the brake lights. The middle light in the rear window & the passenger side brake light(s) don't get bright when you step on the brake. The passenger side brake lights, on the trunk and to the right of the trunk, light up fine but don't get brighter when I brake. The driver side brake light works fine.

I had trouble finding the fuse for this since it isn't labeled on the fuse boxes or in the chilton manual I have. After some research I nailed it down to the horn fuse under the hood. Is this right? It says it's a 20amp fuse, but someone put a 25 amp fuse in there. This tells me there could have been some issues with something on that circuit in the past and someone tried to bypass it using the 25amp fuse.

So anyways, the fuse is fine, the bulbs are all replaced. What else?

I've read somewhere about a Brake Light Control Module but I can't find any documentation on this, only a couple posts of people talking about it. Is there one? Where is it located?

I'd appreciate any information that could help and troubleshooting tips. Thank you!

Last edited by TravisT; 06-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM

I forgot to mention that the Brake Lamp light on my dash is on.

Looking at the schematic in my Chilton's, I see that the "Right brake light failure sensor" is tied into both passenger side brake light and the high mount brake light. Do you think this sensor could be bad and cutting the ground to the lights? Where is this located?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 PM

I found the sensor and I see corrosion on the circuit board. I'm going to try and bypass the sensor for now by jumping the wires at the connector until I can get a new sensor. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Haha Well I fixed it. There was rust on the circuit board that was shorting the solder joints together. I gave the board and connectors a little cleaning and everything works!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Thumbs up

thanks for updating the post, even though no one replied. now this can be used for future problems.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM

thank you soooo much for putting this up,i was having the same problem with mine,same side an everything an couldnt figure out what was wrong.you saved me an expensive trip to the shop,id have never got it lol

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Sweet! Glad it helped. This happens when the seal around the light fails. When you buy the new seal kit it comes with a new wiring harness and sensor. I mean, that's what Ive been told. I haven't replaced it yet.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM

yea I haven't changed mine yet either lol,imma put some sealent on it though.funny thing its my driver side trunk light with the leak so it suprised me it was the rigjt side that went out