General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security alarm woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
tordoff
Unregistered
Default Security alarm woes

Hi:

I bought a used 2000 Honda Accord EX this morning. It looks and runs great but when I leave it parked, after about one or two hours, the security alarm goes off, (with the horn honking repeatedly and lights flashing). There is no obvious reason for the alarm to go off (like the car being jostled). The car is parked outside my house on a very quiet street. It's now 2 am and the alarm went off at around 10 pm, then midnight, and now just a few minutes ago. My local police came by to see what was going on, and I've just disconnected the battery.

Please, can anybody help..?

I assume this is an electrical problem, not some kind of weird Honda thing, but just in case, is there a switch somewhere or combination of switches that disarms the alarm?

How can I turn off the alarm system? I have the manual that lists all the fuses but none of them is labelled "alarm" or "horn". Is there something I'm missing?

Have I bought a possessed car?

Thanks for any information you can give

Mike
Haunted in Philadelphia

Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Security alarm woes

I had this problem on 94EX and found it was marginal battery. As battery voltage declines, the alarm goes off at some point. Battery was strong enough to start the car, but not strong enough for alarm system. I would have battery checked and see if it's marginal, or swap a spare battery in if you have one.

good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

And if you really want to remove the entire system:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...rdsecurity.pdf

Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
tordoff
Unregistered

Thanks for your help, TexasHonda and finch13.

I took the car to the Honda dealer. They tell me the battery is fine but the radio has an internal fault, which they will be happy to fix for $1,400. They also suggested I consider an after-market radio, which will cost a lot less (maybe $200). More importantly, they disabled the car alarm so that my neighbors and I can sleep peacefully.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
secureone
Unregistered

1400 thats it i love the dealer they always give you a excellent deal

they once offered to replace my water pump for 820 dollars i was like wow what a steal

(note the above statements have extreme sarcasm and should not be taken to the heart,bank,and so on)