General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 accord "Sport shift" problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Default 1991 accord "Sport shift" problem

The sport shift light will not go off with the switch, when it is in D4. When in D4 and the "S" light ON the car shifts like it should with the "sport shift" switch engaged. When you select D3 the light goes out and it shifts normal, I can not turn on sport shift while in D3. I can not turn sport shift on or off when I am in D4, the light automatically comes on when I put it in D4. The "S" light does not blink at all just on when in D4 and can not turn off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Supper Moderator

pass kick panal...BLUE 2 pole plug. Jump it off with paper clip. turn key to ON but don't start the car.

read the code...
go to the DIY area and find my thread "ecu/tcu codes" read and get back with us

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Default No codes stored

I did as you said and the CEL light came on but no codes flashed on either the S light or the CEL light. I just bought this car last weekend and I would also like to add that when I started it up today and put it in gear it hesitated for a second before moving..Note: I live in Michigan and it is 30 degrees out. Once it was warmed up it goes into gear and takes off fine. I checked the fluid level and that looks good and full, not burnt or smell bad. Refresher.... When driving in D4 the S light is on "solid" not blinking, it never blinks just solid on. I take off and it seems to carry the shift longer before shifting. If I shift down to D3 the light goes off. If I am in D3 from a standing start it seems to shift normal as if the S mode was disabled but just doesn't go into 4 until I shift it in manually and then the S light comes back on. The previous owner replaced the TCU with one rebuilt by Auto computer exchange this last July, they are located in FL. I believe you send in your old one and they send you one for your correct vin. I tried to check the S switch tonight but my shop light gave out.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I would test the switch.

Copy and paste the link below in your browser to see the pdf.

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/9-62.pdf

It looks like the switch should read open between A and B when the switch is turned off. Closed between those when the switch is pressed in.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Default What about the slipping?

Haven't been able to check the switch yet but what is your best guess about the trans slipping when it is really cold? When it warms up it does not slip anymore.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

What I would do is the simple maintenance, i.e., the cheapest stuff first.

Unbolt the shift and lockup solenoids and clean the metal screen on the gasket. Also clean those solenoids with some throttle body cleaner.

Next, I would change the transmission fluid. The torque converter holds 2/3 of the transmission fluid and doesn't drain, so you will drain the fluid. Refill. Drive the for at least 10 minutes to mix the fluid. Repeat 2 more times (3 drain/refills total) to exchange most of the fluid.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Ok. I cleaned both solenoids and no change. I did get a code 15 from the S light. Kick down switch circuit short. What tdoes that mean and how do you fix or replace the switch. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Code 15 is for the NM Speed Sensor.

For component location, see: media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/9-22.pdf

The resistance across the pins of the sensor should be 400-600 ohms.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Default speedometer ?

With the nm sensor bad would the speedo be rock steady accurate? It works fine...... No issues with the speedo but I have been reading that the nm sensor may affect the cruise control and that does not work as well. The light comes on but it will not set. My next step is to test the nm sensor. Can you tell me the difference between the nm sensor and the nc sensor? Is the nm sensor the same as what people are calling the VSS sensor?

Once again Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I think the NM sensor detects the mainshaft speed. The NC detects the countershaft speed. The VSS is the on that detects the vehicle speed.

Not sure if the cruise only needs the VSS signal. I guess you will have to tackle one problem at a time.

Quick Reply: 1991 accord "Sport shift" problem