General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda Accord, transmission / emission control system problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
postred
Unregistered
Default 1991 Honda Accord, transmission / emission control system problems?

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 1991 Honda Accord EXi, but having inspected it there appears it could have a few problems:

1) "S" light flashing after about 2mins, apparently indicating transmission problems. Gear changes seem a little rough, but no slippage was noticed and I understand these cars tend to be a bit rough on the changes anyway. Hot transmission fluid check indicates an adequate supply of fluid.

2) Emission control system light comes on after about five minutes driving

3) Speedometer stops working after about five minutes driving, then starts back up a couple of minutes later

4) Seems to be original, plastic radiator. After test drive some gurgling noises were noticed. Seems to have been topped up with water, not all coolant.

5) A couple of relatively small oil patches were noticed under the car, which looked quite fresh.

What do you guys think? It's pretty cheap, but I don't want to spend big money fixing it. Is this a lemon?

Thanks!
Lee

Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord, transmission / emission control system problems?

S-light flashing and speedometer may be related as the Vehicle Speed Sensor can cause both of these. VSS is easy and cheap to fxi; < $100 or DIY for < $50. I would want to know what the trans code is and make sure it's not a hydraulic problem that will require a rebuilt or used trans replacement at $1000-1500 min.

Radiator situation may not be good as it could be a leaking head gasket letting combustion gas into the cooling system. I would want to test for leaking head gasket before buying since new head gasket is probably $600-$800. Also use of pure water can cause corrosion if done for any length of time.

Depending on mileage (90K and180K miles)you may need new timing belt and water pump, cost about $600.

Oil leaks are probably nothing toworry about; valve cover, pressure sensor, distributor oring, and oil pump cover are typical sources of oil leaks

Unless you get the major issues fully understood, I would walk away from this one.

good luck