General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 - More of a body swap than an engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 1991 - More of a body swap than an engine swap

1991 Accord LX, 5-speed, 2.2L

Warning: grab a beer and sit back to read all this, haha...

Hi, I'm new here. I know some general info about how cars work mechanically, but replacing the distributor cap is as technical as I get. I have read the stickies and did a search. I only read posts that were for my car's generation, and most of the info was too specific for me.

So, here is my biggest problem: #1) budget! I'm without a car while I save as much as I can. I have 2 grand saved, can probably get another 500 over the next couple of months.

What my car problem is: I live in NH and have been parking on sand/gravel for about 5 years. The bottom of my car is all rotted out. It's nothing currently dangerous, but it still doesn't pass state inspection. It's all on the back end, of course. My whole exhaust needs to be replaced. A/C doesn't work. Clutch needs work. 230,000 miles. New battery runs down if not run at least every other day.

Just the body work and the exhaust were estimated at a minimum $1,200. That doesn't include the other repairs needed, and I have no guarantee that in the next year or two, I won't need another grand of body work. Including purchase price, I've put $6,000 into this car in 4 years. If I could qualify for a loan, I could have gotten a car 10 years younger! At this point, I'm not ready to put any more major money into fixing this car, mainly because of the body rotting to pieces. Plus the clutch.

I'd need about $5,000 to get a '99+ Accord LX in good shape. Or a Civic, but they're all basic models around here, for about the same cost, and I need power windows. I can't afford a buy here/pay here payment - fixed income. I've been saving for six months, and I estimate it would take about another year to save what I need. I know I could get another US make for half the price, but really...we all know why Hondas cost what they do.

When talking to a couple friends yesterday, they suggested that all the problems are in the body, except the electrical problem, so why don't I buy a body in good shape with no real rust, an ok exhaust, good transmission and clutch, etc - only problem: a blown engine. It was even suggested that with a computer change, I could switch to an automatic. I'd have to have a professional mechanic do all the work.

Obviously, my first question is how reasonable does this option sound? How hard might it be to find a car from a drier part of the country with a blown engine and have it shipped here, and how much would that probably cost? How about the standard to auto change? I just have really no clue about cost and effort and whether this engine is probably worth the trust I'd put into it to not die. The more I talk about the details, the higher and higher the cost seems it would be, and I'd be better of saving for a '99 generation car.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

What exactly needs to be replaced on the back end of your car that is causing you car to not pass a state inspection? Also, what other repairs are needed that you mentioned?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

I think saving money for the next car might be the answer...

Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The is what I was told:

Since it's unibody, and the bottom of the trunk had a fist-sized hole right through, on a seam, it would not pass.

The whole exhaust is rotted out and needs to be replaced from stem to stern to pass.

The parking brake can just barely hold it on the tiniest of inclines and will not pass.

$1,200 was the minimum estimate for body and exhaust without taking off the bumper, where they might find much more body rot. And that didn't include about $200 for the parking brake.

When the mechanic mentioned the clutch was crap (I've never driven another standard, but I knew something was off,) I thought a lot about it and decided that it's not worth it anymore. Until my friends mentioned I might be able to do a body swap.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds expensive to do the swap

Last edited by kris_loehr; 06-06-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Since you don't want to sink any more money into your car, I would consider selling it to either a junkyard or a private sale to add to what you have saved.

If you could find a 91-93 accord that has a blown motor, you would have to swap your engine into it. It would run around $1000 for labor (call around for quotes) plus the cost of the car.

You can call some local junkyards to see if they have a 4th gen accord with the body in good shape. They might even do the swap, it can't hurt to ask. Most of the cars at a junkyard are wrecked, so your chances are slim, but it is worth a shot.