General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 2.2L mysterious coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Default 1992 2.2L mysterious coolant leak

My 1992 2.2L 4 cylinder (142,000 miles), auto tranie Accord is leaking coolant. I have replaced the radiator and lower radiator hose and still the leak persists. It is a very slow leak and I believe it is coming from the rear, passenger side of the engine. The coolant can be found almost on the entire back side of the engine up almost to the intake. Only the driver side half axle gets covered in coolant so the leak is on the driver side of the transmission. It seems to be coming from the metal pipe that is the inlet/outlet of the water pump but about two feet away from where the pipe meets the engine. I do have a core heater and the coolant is not leaking from there. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like it is either the metal pipe connecting the water pump to the thermostat (#12), or the one of the hoses coming off of it. There are some rubber hoses that connect to the throttle body in that area as well.

What you need to do is clean up as much coolant as you can, then find the leak.

In one sentence above you said that is coming from rear passenger side of the engine, then you say the leak is on the driver's side of the engine and the driver's CV joint is wet.

Here is the pic:

Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Sorry for the miscommunication (the DS CV joint extends to the PS of the engine into the transaxle, so confusing). I believe it is leaking by the #19 washer but is almost impossible to see even with a small mirror and a flash light from either the top or the bottom of the car. Thanks for the pic, that is exactly what my setup looks like. Where did you get the pic and have any ideas how to get a better view of this area to identify the leakage instead of guessing?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

That picture is from hondapartsnow.com. It is an OEM parts site. There are other ones like majestic honda, ...

It looks like there is a barb to connect a rubber hose near #19 in the above picture. See hose #17 in the pic below. I consider inspecting that rubber hose before attempting to remove the metal hose.

I have never removed the metal hose, but I would suspect that you need to remove the thermostat housing and pull that metal tube towards the passenger side of the car? I would try to find the leak before attempting to replace. Especially if this the car you use everyday.