General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Default 1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem

Hi all, new user to the site, and I hope yall can help me, or at least point me in the right direction. I have a 1992 Accord v-6 with auto transmission in it. While leaving for work this morning i started the car and itr ran as normal, about a mile or two from the house, i noticed the D4 light went out, and then transmission felt like it either went out of gear or sslipped to 3rd. The light then came back on and the car went back to fourth gear. I got up the road to the stoplight, and came to a complete stop, and when the light turned green i started and it felt like the car was stuck in2nd gear. i was doing 55mph at 3500 rpm.So i turned around and came back home, i noticed that if i manually shifted the transmission, it started out fine in first gear and good in second, but it would not engage in 3-4th gear. I noticed that when i put the car into park, that the D4 light stayed lighted up as well as the red park light. First time this has ever happened to me. Any suggestion on where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

UPDATE: Well when i got home from work yesterday, i decided to look at some of the easier things i could find int he manual i have. I removed the A/T control unit and opened it up, there no signs of damage or anything to the capacitors, etc. I also tried to put pull the trouble codes but recieved none for either the check engine light or the D4 light. I put everything back together, re hooked up the battery, and put the fuse back in the fuse box under the hood. Turned it on, it still acted the same. Went back in to see if i could find any more information. Came back out, turned the key to the "on" position and noticed that after a few seconds the check engine light and the D4 light would turn off together like they are supposed to normally. I started the car and hear three "clicks" or "popping" sounds from where the gear shift lever is located. Drove the car for about 2 minutes, and the D4 light turned off again, and then came back on, and now stays lighted again, back to square one. Do these clues give anyone an idea where else i should look?!? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem

they didnt make a v6 in 92

Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM

My fault, wasnt paying attention when i wrote it, its a 4-cyl.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
ricknyc23
Unregistered

I have the same exact accord(4cyl) and I am experiencing the same exact problem! Any advice? I was thinking possibly a shift solenoid issue.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM

I pulled the center console section out, and looked at the area and wiring underneath the shift lever. The shift lock solenoid appears that it has been leaking some type of grease or oil? Is this normal, does anyone know? I also posted an update in my original post that gives a few more clues as to what has happened. Thank you[:@]

Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM

How's the fluid level? Does it smell burned?
Change the fluid. It's easy to do. 3/8" ratchet extension to remove the plug. 2 quarts of tranny fluid to refill it. I think you should use OEM Honda fluid.
Be sure to wipe off all the grunge from the magnetic drain plug.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 PM

Fluid level is good, no burned smell or discoloration.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 PM
ricknyc23
Unregistered

anyone?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM

ricknyc,

Everything i am seeing and reading about vehicles witht he same problem, point back to an elctrical issue of some type. You might want to pull out your a/t control unit to see if it looks damaged, then start looking at your solenoids and stuff, its just going to have to be a process of elimnation to figure out the problem.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Check the electrical connections/connectors on the transmission for any signs of damage. If it's a connector, unplug it and reconnect it (it might be dirty or corroded).

Since you say it "felt like it was stuck in 2nd gear", I wonder if maybe your shift selector is out to lunch? Is there a linkage cable connected? Or is it drive-by-wire?

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem