General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: 1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem

Yes i went to that link you posted. According to that link you sent, i needed a test harness to make it work. Thats why i made post asking if anyone knew where to get the test harness that it talks about in that link.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM

Ok, here is what has happened with my testing and all. It seemed to me that the problem occurrs when the vehicle starts to get warm or is warm. So i tested the OHM's resistenace test on the TW sensor ( i think thats what it is called), located directly underneath the distributor cap. When the vehicke was "cold" the ohms read slightly lower than what the maual says they should have read, after the vehicle was driven and warmed up i tested it again, and the OHM's droppedinsteads of increasing like the manual said. Went to the Honda dealer, and bought a new TW sensor for about $32.00. replaced the sensor, and took it for several test drives. The vehicle drove fine. It was driven for several hours last night with no problems. Went to take it for a test drive this early afternoon, about 11 a.m., and right as the car started to warm up, D4 light came on, and into limp mode it went. Brought the car home, and went to searching for some more clues. Went and restarted the car, and it was still in limp mode. I used a paper clip to see if i could pull any codes, and no codes came up. I pulled the fuse to the A/T computer and left it out for about a minute or so. Put the fuse back in, started right up, and the car was back to normal, took the car for about 5-6 mile drive and it was fine. I hope this kind of helps, and maybe gives a clue to anyone who might be able to help. Thank you

Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
ricknyc23
Unregistered

Has the problem been rectified?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try reading the TCU codes directly. Pull pax side carpet back, turn keyswitch to ON, and read the red led flashes at the TCU window ( about midway of the housing for ECU and TCU).

If this shows no flash code, then a replacement TCU seems your best bet to fix.

good luck

Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM

With everything i was able to read and determine from posting on here and other sites, it seemed that the TCU was the source of the problem, just recieved a replacement one today, i will post here later if that solved my problem,. Thank you for all your help

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM

What did you have to pay for your replacement TCU? Used, rebuilt, or new?

good luck

Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM

It was a rebuilt TCU, and i think it ran me about $150 and it has a little bit of a warranty on it.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:28 AM

Thanks, please advise if this resolves your problem.

good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Ever since i replaced the A/T control unit the car has run great. During one of the test runs i noticed i had a temperature problem and replaced the thermostat after 285,000 miles. That was only a minor problem. So hopefully the problem has been fixed. Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
rocketman86
Unregistered

I have a 92 ex american model and have this problem. My car is always in d4. never goes off. always in 2nd i believe. I checked my a/t module and found burnt resistor and cap. Sodered new ones and still same problem. I will be getting new shift solinoid and will repost my results. i hope i can help.

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord Auto Transmission Problem