General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 accord dies on me

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
nfaulisi
Unregistered
Default 1992 accord dies on me

I bought a 1992 Accord LX about a month ago and it has run great until last night. Now it will start up and run fine but after I drive a couple miles it just completley cuts out and stalls. Then it will not start back up for a couple of minutes. I have replaced the main relay and it was not that. I don't know what would be causing this but if anyone has any idea please help me out.
Thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1992 accord dies on me

first off,, you cannot replace parts till you diagnose the issue,,
You need to find out if it is lack of fuel or spark,,
if it is lack of fuel,, since you replaced the relay, chk to see if you get power and ground at the fuel pump..if you get both and no fuel , you got a bad fuel pump or a totally plugged fuel filter

If no spark , could be a bad coil or ignitor,,
go to our DIY section there are write ups on how to diagnose the problem ..

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

maybe theres a problem with the radiator and the engine is overheating and shutting down. this happened in an old ford i was riding in awile ago... it would run for a couple minutes then it would stall out... after letting it sit and cool off... it could start back up again. mind you temp gauges suck, especially after 15 years.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM
nfaulisi
Unregistered

Where is the fuel pump located?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Fuel pump is in the tank - you have to remove the tank, but it is not difficult. A clogged pickup will cause the symptoms you describe. (Runs at startup, stalls with no restart for sevaral minutes.) You need to take an extra spark plug with you and go for a test drive. When it stalls, remove a plug wire and insert the extra plug. Set the body of the plug on an engine bracket, or take a jumper wire and clip it to the ground strap of the plug and then to the engine bracket. Set the plug in such a way that you can see the spark. Turn the car over, and watch for a spark at the plug. If it sparks and the car does not start and run - in this interim few minutes that the car stays dead - than you likely have a fuel delivery problem.

Without a gauge, the easiest way to test for fuel flow is this: procure a 5/16" rubber fuel line about 4' long. Remove the return line from the fuel rail, and put this long hose on the nipple of the fuel rail. Run the free end of the hose into a 5 gallon catch container. This will divert return fuel from the fuel rail, and into the catch can instead of the tank. What I noticed is that when the car is running, you should have a strong stream from the retun line. The car pumps much more fuel than it uses, recirculating the bulk of it to the tank. On my 91, the car ran fine for a few minutes and then the return stream got very intermittent and weak. This is a sure sign of restriction somewhere in the fuel supply. If the pump functions, you can try to pump gas out into the can to empty the tank, making it easier to remove the tank. If you have a weak return stream of fuel, I recommend replacing the fuel pump, strainer, and fuel filter.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
nfaulisi
Unregistered

Alright thanks for the info. Now I was out messing with it the other day and noticed this. It never runs long enough for the fan to kick on, but also never overheats. While I was messing around I had started it one time and it ran much longer than usual and the fan had also turned on and off several times. Would the fan not kicking on cause my problem as well?

Old 09-02-2007, 04:23 PM
nfaulisi
Unregistered

It was the igniter. Runs fine again. Thanks Everyone.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by nfaulisi
It was the igniter. Runs fine again. Thanks Everyone.
Did you replace your entire distributor or just the igniter? If it was just the igniter, was it hard to remove?

Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bradoslovich
Did you replace your entire distributor or just the igniter? If it was just the igniter, was it hard to remove?
"brad" - are you trying to help the poster or are you having an issue sim to theirs?

You are at the end of a ~5 year old thread/post?