General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Accord LX engine dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Code 20 is for the ELD (electrical load detector). The ELD sensor is built into the fusebox in the engine compartment...i think

Check all your grounds especially at the pcm,
I would also check the wiring in and around ur distributer....

Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so The car died 4 times today while driving. It was fine in the morning when it had been sitting all night, but at lunchtime it died twice on the way to lunch. When it dies it will start back up and drive for about 30 feet before dying again and then you have to let it sit for about 2 to 3 minutes before it will start again. When it won't start, it still cranks it just won't turn over. I tested the ECU again and got a 15 code along with the 20 code that was already there. I suspect the distributor as the culprit, and would rather not have to replace the entire unit. Is there any way to test which part is bad? Or do I have to wait until the car won't start at all? Cause that would suck. I have this here digital multimeter i just bought but have no clue what to test it on or even how to use it. I suspect I can find some youtube videos of how to use it but any input would always be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of you who have been replying to my problem, it is great to know that such a community exists!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, how do I check the grounds? do I use my voltage meter for that or is it just a visual check? Also what is the pcm and where is it located? Thanks again!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I decided to throw some money at the problem and went down to the local U-pull-it and pulled a distributor out of a junker, and installed it in our Accord. Since then the car has not stalled, so that issue seems to maybe be fixed. However, The check engine light has come on and now I am getting a code 8 as well as the 20. it has some trouble starting up still, it will crank away for 5 seconds or so before it turns over. Any thoughts?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, I'll stick with the code 8.

Do you have a volt meter to check resistance? Code 8 is for the TDC sensor inside the dist......or the wires back to the ECU. Did you get a used dist with one of the same issues as the other??????

PS - I added your car info to your signature.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I do have a volt meter, although I have never used it. I did get a used distributor, and we drove it to the next town over this weekend, about a 45 minute drive. It did not stall once. BUT, it did have some troubles starting up. ALSO, it sputtered a few times when I was accelerating. The engine would bog down for a couple seconds, then kick back into full gear. It didn't happen on the way home but only on the way out there. Thanks for adding my car info, I appreciate it! So what do you think, any ideas of diagnostics I could run?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

You are still getting the code 8 - that is where I think your issue is.

The TDC sensor is throwing the code....why is what we need to figure out.

The volt meter is to start testing the TDC and the wires.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your help, I have been looking online for videos of how to test the tdc but have been unable to figure it out. Do you know of any links to a manual or a video?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech forum has a link to online manuals.

You will test the TDC sensor by unplugging the distributor and measure the resistance across the two pins for that sensor. You should also test the resistance by unplugging the ECU and testing the proper pins to verify wiring is ok. This will all be in the shop manual too.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Here's to make it easier for you:

Trouble Code 8

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord LX engine dies while driving