General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C leak question

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Default A/C leak question

My A/C is only cold on the passenger side, and then it's not very cold there. From what I know that means the compressor is working, but there is probably a leak somewhere. I looked around at all the lines under the hood, and at the condenser, and didn't see any obvious signs of a leak (moisture, oily residue, or dirt). Could it be leaking under the dash inside the car, or could the leak be so small it isn't obvious? If the compressor shaft is leaking, wouldn't I see some evidence of it between the compressor and the clutch? The clutch and stator were changed a few years ago by the dealership. I assume they evacuated the system and recharged it at that time. I hate to just have it recharged, just for it to leak out again, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a tiny leak. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. This is an 03 EX V6 Sedan, with auto climate.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM

Go buy a simple a/c check gauge from any auto parts store.You can check the Blue or low side line and get an idea right away if you are low on freon.If you are,you can easily add a can yourself.If you never done that,dont worry,its easier than one thinks.

That said,its possible your climate control system is not working correctly,meaning its letting warm outside air mix in with the a/c.What raises my suspicion on that is you said only one side was cold,somewhat.

When the a/c is running,you should see water condensation or frosty looking build up on the freon add port on the low side line under the hood,and it should feel pretty cold to the touch.

If you are not mechanically inclined to do so,I would be happy to help you walk through it.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Thing is, I want to fix the leak, if it isn't going to cost me an arm or leg. I don't know if I trust using those DIY cans, especially if it's not going to last.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

It does sound like you have a leak. You may want to buy a small can of R134a with UV dye. Then you can charge a small amount in the system and check to see where you have a leak.