General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 honda accord idle adjust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1993 honda accord idle adjust

My idling is a little low.(600-700 rpms with A/C running)In my haynes manual it says I need a handheld tach to determine my idle speed then adjust up or down by unplugging the IAC valve connector and prying out the concelament plug at the top of the throttle body to reveal the adjustment screw....
Is this possible to do without the tach? I googled this problem,and found some info on "yahoo answers".A poster was told he needed to take it to the shop,and to not try to do this without a tach,but to me it seems relitavely simple...Anyone exp with this?
Thanks in advance
The cyclops

Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

More likely, the throttle plate and idle air control valve (IACV) are dirty and not allowing adquate idle air to pass, hence low idle rpm.

Clean front and back of throttle plate and bore of throttle body w/ throttle body cleaner and old toothbrush.

Remove IACV and clean movement of gunk. Clean inlet outlet passages w/ strong stream of throttle body cleaner.

Start and allow to warm. If idle speed is still too low, then you can adjust w/ the procedure you mentioned.

good luck

Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
More likely, the throttle plate and idle air control valve (IACV) are dirty and not allowing adquate idle air to pass, hence low idle rpm.

Clean front and back of throttle plate and bore of throttle body w/ throttle body cleaner and old toothbrush.

Remove IACV and clean movement of gunk. Clean inlet outlet passages w/ strong stream of throttle body cleaner.

Start and allow to warm. If idle speed is still too low, then you can adjust w/ the procedure you mentioned.

good luck
Hey thanks! Im not sure exactly what you just said,but gonna compare notes with my manual and your post and get it done.
I will report back probably tomorrow on my success or failure.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK,Got it done and was a million times easier than even my novice self could have dreamed.I cleaned the throttle plate as tex' said and took several hoses off and cleaned but honestly looked spotless.Adjusted idle and seems to be good.Im gonna drive it tomorrow and adjust more if need be.
I did however find out while I was under the hood that the plugs are very clean,but......The previous owner was running bosch platinum and I rean somewhere that these are suspect for the cause of idling trouble?Maybe Im wrong here but gonna get some new plugs tomorrow.I was advised to get NGK V-power from another thread but advance has the denso plats for same price as autozone has copper NGK V-power.($2.99)Probably will go with the NGK because of strong recomendation but those densos for that price is a great deal.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Is there a difference between throttle body cleaner and brake cleaner? The only reason I ask is because you said to clean the IACV with throttle body cleaner but others have said brake cleaner.

I have both and plan on doing the IACV tomorrow. Also is it safe to shoot it all up inside of both openings without worry of damaging anything inside?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what the solvent is for TB cleaner vs brake cleaners. With electrical stuff like the IACV, I would use the TB cleaner. It is probably designed to not damage electronics.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Using a separate tachometer is good because the tach in your gauge cluster is not too accurate at low RPM. Besides, the marking is confusing, because many people don't realize the first tic mark is 500rpm even tho it's very close to the peg.

The actual important thing is to adjust base idle (550rpm) with the IACV unplugged. That puts the IACV in a good position to control the operating idle at 750.

You don't adjust the operating idle with everything running. The idle-control system will be fighting against your adjustments.