General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry 1994 Honda Accord Overheating

I have a 1994 Honda Accord. When I am driving anymore than 1 mile (which is always), my car overheats. I do live in Florida where the temps are around 100 degrees in the summer but my car hasn't overheated all year until now. Ok so when I am driving the temperature gauge starts out being around the 50% mark. Then it will increase to where the needle is at the max point on the gauge very quickly. I immediately pull over and pop the hood. There isn't steam coming out of the engine bay and I do have all of my fluids filled to the correct amounts (coolant, oil, etc.). I noticed that there was antifreeze/coolant on the right fan(if you're looking at the car) and some on the black hose that is in front of the fan (again if you're looking at the car). However that fan is not running, but the bigger fan to the left of it is running at full speed with the car off. I have been told it might be the temperature sensor? Or something along those lines that has gone bad or even possibly the radiator itself. I do not have a lot of money and would like to tackle this problem myself if possible but I do understand there are some jobs I am not capable of doing. If anyone has any information that might help me solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated. If there is any other info that you need to help me, just let me know and I will do my best to provide it. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coolant overtemp when coolant reservoir and radiator are full suggests your thermostat may be sticking closed.

Check that cooling fans are coming on when overtemp is indicated w/o AC on. If fans aren't running, you may have failed thermoswitch A (on thermostat housing) that needs replacement.

Suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum.

Any leaks must be repaired; hoses, radiator, etc to have a correctly functioning system, however from your description the thermostat and possibly thermoswitch should be investigated initially.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I figured out that when the car is running with the ac off the temperature remains normal. However when I turn the ac on, the temperature gauge jumps up to the maximum. Do you still think the thermostat is my problem? I hope this info helps

Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM

If this happens while the car is moving, the thermostat is still likely.

Are cooling fans coming on when car begins to overheat w/ AC on? If cooling fans aren't running, this may be part of the problem.

Fix cooling fans first, if they are not running w/ AC On. Bad fans, fuse, or less likely two bad relays.

My experience is that Accord will almost never overheat w/o cooling fans as long as AC is off and car is moving, even fairly slowly.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The fan on the passenger side comes on when the car begins to overheat. The fan on the drivers side however does not work and hasn't for the year that I have owned the car. I have checked all of the fuses for the cooling fans and they all are good.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and see if the coolant is filled all the way to the top of the radiator. If not, add a 50:50 mix of coolant until it is full.

Once you check that, start up the engine and turn on the a/c. Do both fans turn on?

Also, do you have a volt meter?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda: The coolant is filled all the way up as well as the reserve tank. Only the passenger side fan turns on. I do not have a volt meter but I'd be willing to buy one if that would help solve my problem.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

You can pick up a volt meter for ~$10 at stores like walmart. The digital one is probably around $20. You just need to be able to test for voltage and resistance (continuity) for most auto electrical testing.

I had the driver's side fan (A/C condenser fan) wear out on my 95 accord. One test that you can try, is to start the car, turn on the A/C again. Hit the fan motor with the handle of a screwdriver. If the fan turns on (even briefly) replace the fan motor (or you can buy the assembly on Ebay). The proper way to test is to unplug the electrical connector to that fan and measure the voltage across the two pins for the fan. If you have 12V, then replace that fan.

When that fan was not working on my 95 accord, the only time the temperature would start to rise is when I was at a stop. I first noticed it when I was in the drive-through for some fast food. You may be dealing with two problems.

The other simple test is to touch the upper and lower radiator hose when the engine starts to over heat. If one of the hoses is much cooler than the other, that can point to a thermostat problem. Replacing the thermostat is a pretty cheap "maintenance" item. It is ~$20 at the dealership, and definitely get the thermostat from the dealership.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So the fan does not work at all. I haven't tested the voltage but I believe there is power going to the motor. So should I replace the motor or the whole assembly?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM

You can buy either motor or assembly. A little extra work to replace motor only. Check ebay, amazon, rockauto, et al for which ever you want.

good luck

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord Overheating