General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 accord: dead car battery, horn goes on by itself.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
yousef
Unregistered
Default 1995 accord: dead car battery, horn goes on by itself.

Hi, I have a 1995 Accord EX and I had it in "storage" outside over the winter months. Unfortunately the battery has been dead since the beginning of winter when somebody left the headlights on. Today I managed to jump start the car with cables. After I let the car run for about 20 to 30 mins to charge, all of a sudden then car horn goes on by itself. I went inside the car and tried playing around with the horn it didn't do much. I don't really remember that well, but I think pressing the brake pedal might have turned it off but I'm not sure. So I ended up turning off the car and waited for about a minute before turning it back on. By that time the battery was completely dead again, not even dash lights. Any suggestions about the battery and weird horn thing. Is it possible to revive the battery and how?

Another thing on the side, I doubt anyone would know. Near my hood release latch, attached under the dashboard is some small random on/off switch with another smaller mini switch hanging from its wires.They obviously aren't standard to the car. I don't know what these switches do. If somebody has any idea what they might be for based on their placement, that would be nice.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

The 'extra' switches probably go to some type of aftermarket alarm system, and that would be the cause of the horn problem.
As far as the battery....forget it.......history.....over with.............invite us all to the wake

Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
yousef
Unregistered

Ya, you're probably right. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
yousef
Unregistered

..where's the best place to buy a battery quality and price wise. NAPA auto parts or Canadian tire?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM

My neighbour has an older accord ex which had the same horn problem. She left her lights on and the horn came on and kept on going for a few hours since it was rather faint. Very strange, but I doubt she has the same alarm system, or if she has one at all, and if it is aftermarket, it would usually come with its own siren, and not use the cars horn.

xp

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
yousef
Unregistered

nah, for me it was definitely the horn. I don't even have an alarm system...not that I know about. Anyways, I got a new battery, never happened again.