General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1996 accord ex

i have a 96 accord ex 5-speed. lately its been stalling coming to a stop. when i see a stop sign, stoplight, or my turn is coming up, i put it in neutral and coast. when i put it in neutral, it stalls. it doesnt sputter or anything, rpms just drop. it cranks back up everytime. ive also noticed that it doesnt want to go past 5000. my redline is 6250 or 6500, i cant remember. it seems to only stall when the engine is cold. it always does it when its hot. ive checked the iacv and egr valve according to my haynes manual and they both check good and clean thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Stop by a parts store and have them scan for codes. Post any codes on here. The start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

it seems to only stall when the engine is cold. it always does it when its hot.
This is confusing to me, can you explain better?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have checked the codes and the only codes i get is an oxygen sensor code. its because i have a header on it with only one o2 bung instead of 2 like the factory exhaust has. the problem arrived way later after i installed the header and high flow cat. sorry for the typo. it doesnt do it when the engine is cold. it always stalls after the engine is at normal op temp coming to a stop or slowing to turn.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this a 4-cyl? I'm not sure if V6 comes in EX's but might.

Have you cleaned throttle plate both sides and IACV inlet screen/valve movement. It may be the IACV is not compensating for idle air when coming to stop w/ closed throttle.

What happens when you turn AC on at idle? Does idle drop or stay constant?

good luck

Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

it is a 4 cylinder vtec. i havent cleaned the throttle plate. i did pull of the iacv and it was surprisingly clean, so i didnt mess with it. when the engine is hot, and i turn the a/c on, the idle does seem to drop a little too low and then it comes back up.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest cleaning throttle plate (both sides) and IACV inlet screen and valve movement. Valve movement can become sticky due to deposits and could be hanging when stalling occurs.

AC should not depress idle speed if IACV is working correctly.

good luck

Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok ill try cleaning it tomorrow. thank you very much

Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE: I followed the IACV check according to my haynes manual. it says disconnect the connector from the iacv and should be a noticable reduction in idle speed. well when i disconnected it, the car shut off. is that normal? i was also looking at the idle speed adjustment, and it says to disconnect the iacv and start the car with accelerator depressed and stabilize at 1000 rpms then slowly release until idle drops to normal speed. when i slowly release the throttle, like it says, the car shuts off. is that normal? and also when i have the iacv disconnected, and the car is running, it acts like its skipping.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

I would mess with the idle screw last, because you may mask the true problem.

Your car should not stall when you disconnect the IACV. I would clean out both side of the throttle plate and the bore.

Have you messed around with the throttle, TPS, etc... before?

Did you recheck the engine codes to verify there are no new codes showing up? That is one problem with having a CEL on all the time. I also thought that the 2nd O2 sensor was bolted into the catalytic converter? Post all of your codes, just to be thorough.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ill clean the throttle plate today. ive never messed with the throttle body or anything that attaches to the upper plenum. i did recheck the codes and i have a code 14, which is the iacv (because i unplugged it) and the o2 code. i have an aftermarket header and high flow cat. there is 2 o2 bungs on the header. there is one at the top of the header near the head, and the other one is on the downpipe before the cat. the upper one i cant put an o2 sensor in because the bung is too close to the motor mount

Quick Reply: 1996 accord ex