General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 accord lx 4 cyl. A/C problem need help troubleshooting

Old 12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1996 accord lx 4 cyl. A/C problem need help troubleshooting

I need some help troubleshooting an A/C problem.
The vehicle in question is a 1996 accord LX 4 Cylinder.
The A/C clutch bearing went bad and the a/c stopped working.
I replaced the clutch, bearing, etc. but once everything installed the clutch will not engage. I bypassed the a/c switch and the clutch engaged and the a/c worked fine so the compressor is working. I jumped the pressure switch located under the battery but that's not the cause of the problem either.
Any idea as to what to test next??

Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

AC relay may not be closing, or AC system pressure is low. If compressor engaged and ran w/ the pressure switch jumped, this suggests low system pressure (leak somewhere).

good luck

Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Nothing happened when I jumped the pressure switch.
I swap relays ( I used the relay next to the a/c relay next to the cooling fan on the driver's side) and nothing happened....
Could it be the thermostat??

Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

What are the inputs to the relay....test the wires to the relay and let us know.

Test the wires to the pressure switch, what are you getting? Test the resistance of the switch, what are you getting?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

All the readings came back within range and I was able to fix the issue. I doubled checked everything and I found that the 15amp condenser fuse was blown, I'm almost sure that I checked it yesterday and it was fine but maybe I thought I did and didn't...I'm not as young as I think I am, it sucks getting old ....lol
Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Now, I did notice one thing....
When the motor is idling and the a/c is off, both fans are off. When the a/c is on both fans come one (as they should).
With the a/c off when the temp. rises both fans come one (as they should).
The question is this; Is the cooling fan supposed to be on at all times with or without the a/c running? I thought it did...

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

No. The operation you described is the "normal" operation. Car on: AC on, BOTH run. Temp (thermo a) gets to set temp ~196*, BOTH run (this will cycle them on and off as the temp moves)........Car off: Temp on thermo b gets to set temp ~224*, ONE fan runs.....don't hold me to the temps, went from memory

Last edited by poorman212; 12-04-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the clarification...
One more thing, I went out for a drive and the a/c system is working normal; however, I could smell something "hot" inside car and when I turned the car off I noticed a little smoke coming out from the a/c clutch is at...
I'm not sure if it is the paint on the new parts burning (that's kind of what is smells like) or if it is that the compressor itself is about to die.
If the system is overcharged with 134a would that cause it to do that?
I plan to check the pressure later on today.
Thanks for your help!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to call........you replaced the whole ac clutch assy? Did you check the "air gap"?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Replace the whole assembly and installed the shim. Not sure how to check the gap...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 accord lx 4 cyl. A/C problem need help troubleshooting